Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new, 22 and from Northern Ireland. Haven't got a bike yet but the thruxton is calling out to me, in black too, this will be my 1st bike, although im abit worried about this new 'big bore' one ive heard about.
Ive been looking around for parts and all for it, as you do so you know what you can do, and the big thing I want to do is change the exhausts. Ive been looking at the Predators but im wanting to know are the Predators from these two links the same?

http://www.british-customs.com/british-customs-triumph-thruxton-efi-predator-exhaust-polished-triumph-motorcycles-c-5-p-2-pr-17038.html

http://www.predatorexhaust.co.uk/unitrader/shop/product/THRUXTON-PREDATOR-SPORTS-SILENCERS-PAIR-IN-POLISHED-STAINLESS/2219

Both seem to show the same video, just wondering are what you all talking about the same as what im looking at.

Many Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mark,
I believe they are the same, but why not call the UK distributor and ask. Seems ridiculous to pay for two trips across the pond.
A word to a newcomer to the sport, not a put-down, everybody's new at some time. My Dad (a Ballygowan lad) handed me the keys to my first bike (1965) and said, "Remember, you're going to be very close to the scene of the accident."
Take any rider's course you can, and read anything on the subject. Is David Hough's "Proficient Motorcycling" available in Northern Ireland? It's the best I've seen.
I live where race #3 refers to somebody named Earnhardt, not to Joey. We have more motorways than you do, and even our secondary roads are wider, and straighter. The UK is a challenging place to ride, so give the learning curve time to happen. I don't know about anybody else, but I tend to get confident well before I get competent. Watch out for the overconfident stage, a couple thousand miles in.
I lost a cousin, 25yo, down near Galway two years back. Too fast, on too much bike (1 litre Japco), in the rain, with stone walls both sides of the road. When the drunk pulled out in front of him, he had no place to go. Leave yourself a margin for the other guy's error, as well as your own.
You're going to love the Thrux, it's forgiving of error (up to a point,) and I think you'll find the performance at least adequate. More to the point, the FEEL of the bike is, well, what a bike is supposed to feel like.
It's well known that a yellow Thrux is faster than a black one. :)
Redhawk

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
When you get your bike and you still want the Preds get them through British Customs . Even at their price they can find you cheap shipping which still might come out cheaper than the UK distributor .

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mark,

Redhawk's advice is spot on. There's a reason MC's are referred to as 'organ donor machines'. In addition to David Hough's books, try to find Larry Grodsky's "Stayin' Safe". Another excellent compendium of how to stay alive on 2 wheels. Good luck finding your bike!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Mark,I've been looking into this as well.If you get the British Customs Triumph Thruxton Basic Performance Package,even with shipping costs and the bad exchange rate,it's only fractionally more expensive than buying the exhausts in the U.K.
A lot more goodies for your money!:YellowWink::ClapHappy:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info.
@ redhawk, yes that book looks to be available here so Ill have to get a copy.
I know this is only the beginning of learning, I plan on doing at least 2 advance courses here but 1st, once I have the bike and the weather has picked up, Im going out with a friend of my dads who teaches the police bikers their advanced.
Thats why I like the thrux, it looks fun but Ill keep my licence and hopefully my life, sorry to hear about your cousin, happens all to often over here and its rarely the bikers fault.
@roxy, they are acutally cheaper from U.S. so thanks for that.
@Jonathan, thanks, ill have a look for that 1 too. yeah Jap bikes have no appeal for that reason.
@Ton up, good idea mate but at the min thats only for the carb bikes and the new thrux is efi

Oh and we dont get yellow over here, just black and red.
Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mark, I don't know what the used bike market is like in the UK, but it might be worth checking out. The Thrux is a bike I would be comfortable buying used, as the motor and gearbox seem to be nearly indestructable. My dealer has sold a couple hundred, and has yet to have a bottom end failure. It's certainly a 50,000 mile motor, given any maintenance at all, and probably a good bit more.
I don't want to start a war, but I'm partial to the carburetted model. It's simpler, and less likely to require (expensive) dealer attention. I believe the '08 and later are injected in the UK.
You probably won't save a ton of money, but you may find a bike with a lot of the goodies already installed.
Best,
Redhawk

·
Registered
60 Posts
British Customs Triumph Thruxton EFI Basic Performance Package $844.95
It's there mate,they do them for both models.Any ?'s e mail Sean at British Customs and he'll set you right.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks redhawk, thats good to hear they are that good and reliable.
Used bike market isnt bad over here but its better on the mainland than this silly little island, so got to budget about £500 to go and pick up a bike in England, plus you take a chance as to what its really like.
Also over here, the bike is ment to be restricted for 2yrs, added cost when buying 2nd hand and added problems as I couldnt pick up bike and then take it to get restricted. but I will be keeping an eye open as im in no major rush.
Sorry ton up, just glanced quickly, thanks for that, ill keep adding to the exhaust fund and see how i get on. Thats brilliant, thanks

Mark

·
Registered
60 Posts
I couldn't agree more (EFI guys,please don't start to hurl abuse at me for that!).There are a lot of low milage Thruxtons around at the moment at good prices,check out e bay uk.:ClapHappy:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I bought mine (Preds + Airbox removal kit) from Sean @ BC - great guy to deal with & a quality product. @ $1.40 to the pound, the exchange rate's dropped a lot in 6 months but it's probably still cheaper from the U.S.
[BTW the pic from the Predator exhaust website must be on a Bonnie - my Preds angle up much more than that:

One suggestion though is if you add the Preds you really should do something with the intake too otherwise you don't gain anything except noise (believe me they are pretty loud - enough to p*ss off Mr Plod anyway!). So either buy the full kit with airbox removal & new jets (as suggested by Ton Up Pirate) or modify the existing airbox to allow more airflow.

And take Redhawk's wise advice! I had a couple of bad spills racing around the stone-walled lanes in N. Wales back in the 80's - fortunately I'm still here!!
Be safe & enjoy the new ride
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
Ton up, thanks for that, im away for a looksee. Have you got a thrux at the minute then? Maybe Ive missed it, sorry if i have.
Triton, thanks for the pic, thats what I want it to look like. Hopefully by the time im ready to order the exchange rate will be better.
Oh i will be taking all lessons possible, gotta keep olds and girl happy, and i want to keep myself happy and alive.
Thanks again.
Didnt think so many would have known and been over here, thats good to hear

mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts