Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Daytona, just added to my collection. It has a problem, My pal was doing a fair rate of knots 130 ish + and he suddenly lost power and heard a loud tapping noise from mid to top end. It ticks over fine with tapping but the moment you try to rev it wont it dies but returns to tick over fine. I would say its a loud tapping not a knocking and not a rumbleing?
Any ideas before i strip the begger.
cheers

·
Registered
899 Posts
I know this isn't of help, but it's really difficult to say without actually knowing what happened at the time, over revving, oil starvation, how the bike acted when it happened, how many miles on the bike, exact details. Easier to guess actually hearing the sound and knowing the circumstances. You'd be better off either taking it in for diagnosis or start the tear down if your so inclined. If you have a mechanical sound coming from inside that wasn't there before and you've lost power, you're going to have to go in anyway. Just for the record, engine parts are expensive. So if you can at least get a diagnosis without spending a lot of time and money, you may find it cheaper to drop in a used motor which isn't to difficult.

·
Registered
899 Posts
dano,

out of curiosity, why #3. I'm new to daytona's. I'm assuming high revs, but why is #3 the usual culprit? Bearing should be an easy fix though and minimal cost.

·
Registered
828 Posts
i had a 99 daytona. mine blew up...not because of the #3 bearing. mine blew because there was a torx head socket head left in the oil pan. one day it jumped up into the spinning crank and fragged the #3 rod. when i brought it in to get rebuilt, out of my own pocket...it was out of warranty i just scrapped that motor and went with one i got off the net. well it gave me trouble too....thats when i found out from my small triumph shop buddies. they told me that, and i did read it somewhere, ... i cant recall where. ill ask them and get back what the reason was for....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts