Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I've been riding a Triumph since my first Speed Triple (2001 955i). I just got myself the 2022 Speed Triple 1200 RS, and so far I have loved it... mostly.

Sadly, I've had a major problem as I was doing my break-in. I did the first 300 miles according to the break-in sticker- never going above 5k rpm. But after speaking with my local Triumph tech, I did 300-450 miles fairly hard; I was going all through the rev's and pushing quite a bit. During that trip, I had some weird warning lights come on; the battery/electrical light would flash briefly but immediately disappear, and nothing was saved in the "warnings" section of the console.

Then I went on my next ride. I wasn't even riding hard this time. I was doing a canyon with my cruise set at 55mph in 4th gear. Right around the 480 mile mark, I got a Transmission, a Check Engine, and a Battery warning light. The Battery light vanished and wasn't saved in the "warnings", but the Transmission and Check Engine stuck. The bike put itself into the "limp home mode" and I made it home. Sadly, my Triumph dealer isn't open on Mondays, so it won't be looked at until Tuesday.

For anyone that doesn't know what the "limp home mode" does - it limits the speed that the engine will rev up, and it maxes the rpm at about 4600.

Other than this issue, I've been loving the bike. I can't wait to take her to the track 8-13-21.

Anticipated mods:
Evotech radiator protector
Evotech fender eliminator
Triumph frame sliders
Triumph fork protectors
Triumph tire pressure sensor
Triumph windscreen (only for track days)
A new seat - God please inspire someone to make a decent aftermarket seat
Possibly change the suspension springs - I'm 250 lb, and the preload is pretty tight
Exhaust - I'm sure that the Euro5 system is cutting off a decent amount of HP

Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Gauge
Cameras & optics Motor vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument Gadget

·
Administrator
3,349 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site. That is quite the intro that we don't usually get. Unfortunate to have issues so soon on a brand new bike. Maybe someone in the Speed Triple section can shed some light on the flags you are getting and help put your mind at ease.

I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk about all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders. Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders. Please note if you are asking a question or looking for some insight – Please go to one of the sections related to the model of your bike. You will get very good responses and input for riders more than willing to help.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also, we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out. But you do need to meet some requirements for access. Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Read first before trying to post. Classified Ad Rules -

Accessing Our Classifieds

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in. If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

Here are the governing rules of the site and what can and cannot be done here.

Acceptable Use Policy - Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Wishing you Safe Riding!

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
545 Posts
Sometimes a warning light that randomly flashes on/off is caused by loose battery connections. That's always the first place to check.

Limp mode can happen if there is a repeated failure of some component that might not be a problem until a certain number of faults build up. And example is a knock sensor, which can have a momentary glitch and the motor picks up OK after it. But more than five or ten in a second or two sends a more urgent fault to the ECU and the motor can go into limp mode.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an actual update!!!! They believe they found the problem... though they have no ability to fix it.

Apparently there is a pressure sensitive cable connecting the Servo Motor to the Butterfly Valve responsible for actuating the Exhaust Valves. This cable is VERY tight to begin with. When I sit my fat-ass on the bike, it is supposedly tugging on the pressure sensor and activating all of the codes.

The only way for them to fix this is to either get a longer cable to install, or to update the ECU to allow for more flex in that pressure sensor. Either way, it comes down to Triumph corporate basically issuing an official recall/update.

How long will this take?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts