Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Justgot a '99 Thunderbird w/22,000 miles on it. Cleaned the carbs & put new kits in them. It has a weird backfire-pop noise (is this normal for a triple?). Took a 400/500ml weekend trip w/it running about 70 mls/hr & it ran great. Parked it for two wks & took it back out. It has a bad hesitation pulling out & seems to be missing in after shifting into next gear. Drained / replaced fuel & added Sea Foam. It's still not any better. Any Ideas on the reason?

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Pull the spark plugs and see what colour they are, that would be a good starting point.

Also note if they are all the same colour. Check the condition of the plug leads and connections to the coils while you've at it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am going to concede that I don't own or have any experience with your bike but this problem sounds very familiar to me because I had on older bike that did what you describe.

The conclusion was that the bike was running too lean. You may be starving her of fuel.

Double check your carbs. Make sure she's dialed in properly.

Just a suggestion....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi there when you cleaned the carbs did you clean the duck bill filter at the bottom of the fuel pipe from the fuel tap also the fuel tap filter which after 12 years has probably never been cleaned.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not meaning to be cheeky but when you cleaned the carbs how good did you get them?
Two years ago we bought a Kawasaki KZ650 which had been imported from America. It had been standing for a while and had a hesitation when pulling away from a standstill and low speeds.

I tried fuel cleaner in the tank and used a small ultrasonic cleaner last winter which helped but still far from right. Had the carbs in bits early summer and sprayed the heck out of them with cleaner but still not right.

About a month ago I pulled them again and did what your not supposed to do and used a bit of copper wire through the jets.
Bike now runs pretty good.

Also had a Kawasaki KH250 that wasn't right until I discovered that the emulsion tube that I thought was cast in place came out. It was almost choked solid.

We have a 1997 Thunderbird, 49000 miles, with no backfire but have experienced missing at the bottom end. First time it was old plugs (one was lightly rusted) and the second, after torrential rain, it was at the coils. Spraying WD40 at each in turn found the culprit. All it needed was the terminals pushed back in place.

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
It has a weird backfire-pop noise (is this normal for a triple?).
Is it popping only when you decelerate?

If so, then it is running lean.

When you say that you put new kits in the carbs, what sort of kits?

Did you replace all the jets?

What is the pilot screw set at? (should be about 2 1/2 turns out)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts