Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
American motorcycle magazines really have me turned off. I subscribe to 2 different subscriptions that I will not renew next time. Both didn't have hardly a single Triumph mention the last 2 months. It is all sport bikes and cruisers..........and high end custom movie stars.
Triumph hasen't been advertisiing so they don't get mentioned, tested or recommended and the comparisons have been between apples and oranges.
I think I now know how they work. You contribute to our advertising, and we will toot your horn.
So, I now stick with TWO, or BIKE...........the British magazines.

Rant over........LOL

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Sold out mag

One of the "used to be" pretty good mags is now All Ducati, All the time-what a load-these guys are the Ducati whores of all time-the bikes suck in reality. Routine Services are like $700 and up, kiss your bike goodbye for about a MONTH if you take it in for Routine Service -And lots of routine parts are unobtainable and priced outrageously-stuff breaks all the time and the gas tanks on some models fall off (well almost)-They are beautiful to look at but the magazine gives not a mention of any of the realities of owning one! They have sold their soul for lots of deals, trips and freebies etc. from Ducati and screw the readers who BUY the magazine. (not any more)
Sad situation. I guess they think nobody will notice??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Interesting observation about the editorial content of one of the popular US mags. I hadn't really thought of that until you mentioned it. It's true. Although, to be fair the mags are all about reporting on new models and Ducati has introduced several new models recently so it's not a surprise that the mags are reporting on it extensively (because, you know, it is a Ducati).

Actually, I find most of the mags are the same in that they all report on the same new models. Seriously, how many times do I have to read pages and pages about the newest BMW or Duc? I wish they'd spend more time doing comprehensive comparsions of similar models and/or gear, even if some of the models they are comparing are a few years old.

Interestingly, one of the mags I find the most interesting is (was?) Motorcyclist Retro. I wasn't into bikes when I was growing up in that era and I find it informative to read about these iconic bikes from that time. Of course, the company that publishes it has decided to pull the plug on it. :(

·
Registered
657 Posts
One of the "used to be" pretty good mags is now All Ducati, All the time-what a load-these guys are the Ducati whores of all time-the bikes suck in reality. Routine Services are like $700 and up, kiss your bike goodbye for about a MONTH if you take it in for Routine Service -And lots of routine parts are unobtainable and priced outrageously-stuff breaks all the time and the gas tanks on some models fall off (well almost)-They are beautiful to look at but the magazine gives not a mention of any of the realities of owning one! They have sold their soul for lots of deals, trips and freebies etc. from Ducati and screw the readers who BUY the magazine. (not any more)
Sad situation. I guess they think nobody will notice??
I think you're generalizing a little too much. Did you really had any Ducati experience or just repeating common tales based on somebody's bad luck? You can read stories about lemons from all bike brands (search this forum for Triumph stories).

But I have another question: does somebody know where to find good deal on US subscription for "Bike"? I found $40 for 6 months, which is about 4-8 times a price of any US magazine (even MCN is for $22 per year, and they are not financed with ads).

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No...I don't think Ducati sucks at all. After all, weren't they the first ones to put a steetfighter into production---the Monster?--which gave rise to our Speedy we ride?
They are just expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ducati Ranting response

I have had a number of Triumphs and Ducatis since the early sixities, and have never found the Ducati to be unreliable. I currenly own a 2007 Ducati S4RS and a 2007 Speed Triple. The Ducati is faster, handles better, is more comfortable, and to my eye, just drop dead gorgeous. I find the Speed Triple ride to be rather harsh on my old back, and will be getting its suspension upgraded by Aftershocks in an attempt to equal the Ohlins equipped Ducati. As for maintanance cost, I find the Ducati costs comparable to that of the Triumph, and less than my BMW.
The Ducati did cost twice as much as the Speed Triple, and its spare parts are also more expensive, which makes the Triple a good bang for the buck.

just my two cents worth,
Terry

2007 Ducati S4RS (pearl white)
2007 Triumph Speed Triple (gloss black)
1994 BMW R1100RS
1983 Honda Ascot
1978 Honda CX500
1977 Triumph Bonneville

·
Registered
587 Posts
Kinda ironic that I pointed out there was no Duc in the test, and yet the thread turned into a Duc argument... I'll continue with a rediculous generalization

Only problems I have with duc's are the dry clutch noise, price, and the yuppie scum on top of them:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts