Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if you could get as much of a gain as the BB kit w/o buying that? I was thinking that they are not only offering TORs for it, but na free flow filters. So those two things with the official triumph mapping (yes, they do have a map for that combo....i already asked) would likely bring 3-5 HP. Not take a look at the RIII. Triumph sells another offroad item for it that gains 18 HP....the cat bypass. The cat on the triumph, which I saw in one of the videos where the back wheel was off, is between the pipes at the junction where the pipes connect to the headers. The cat is like the balancer tube on the bonnie header except it is of course a catalytic converter and is a box like affair. In any case, i imagine it could easily plugged off w/o a kit. So i\'m thinking.....maybe it will just be a matter of time before the 3rd party mappers start mapping for this bike and someone plugs off the cat and creates a map for that and pipes and filter. If cat bypass only gained 1/2 as much as the RIII gains, the total gains for pipes filter and cat bypas should be right about where BB kit puts it, and the cost would be 1/4 as much plus whatever it copsts to map it and any parts to plug the cat.

i don\'t know much about this stuff so i may be missing something, so lemmie know. But i\'d much prefer a cheaper and easier route to that extra 15 HP than the BB kit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I guess Triumph are stuck with emission regs so they can only get more clout (officially and legally) by going BB. Once you bin the cat yes I'm sure those 1600 cc's can shift a lot faster.
I'd go with that route myself too, an a bit more noise will no doubt be needed to shatter a few windows or scare the sheep, but i want to try one first. Have my test ride booked on Jul 11th. The usual stuff about warranties though would stop a cat removal plan or you can forget the warranty - does it come with just a year - or two?
Triumph must be aware of the Night Rod Special winning the MCN Cruiser of the Year title here and I bet are making plans for a Thunderbird Sport ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was contemplating the BB kit - back when the rumors said it could be a factory fitted item. In view of the cost of getting the dealer to fit it - decided against it.

Anyway - I am fortunate in getting Staintune to be using my bike as the test bed for their pipes. They will dyno before and after and they will do a remap of the ECU. I *SUSPECT* they may bypass the cat conv with the new pipes (slash cut BTW).

My gut feel is they will add between 10-15hp with the pipes. The dyno will tell the true story - but because we in OZ are about as far from Hinkley as you can get - I will not get my bike until September (1st OZ shipment).

Imagine how I feel hearing that some of our US cousins are getting their bikes now :-(

Stan

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well that is very cool ! (staintune using your bike) If they do block the cat and get that much more power i would be very interested in that, at least assuming i like the look of the pipes they come up with and they aren\'t too loud.

·
Registered
430 Posts
What if you could get as much of a gain as the BB kit w/o buying that? I was thinking that they are not only offering TORs for it, but na free flow filters. So those two things with the official triumph mapping (yes, they do have a map for that combo....i already asked) would likely bring 3-5 HP. Not take a look at the RIII. Triumph sells another offroad item for it that gains 18 HP....the cat bypass. The cat on the triumph, which I saw in one of the videos where the back wheel was off, is between the pipes at the junction where the pipes connect to the headers. The cat is like the balancer tube on the bonnie header except it is of course a catalytic converter and is a box like affair. In any case, i imagine it could easily plugged off w/o a kit. So i\'m thinking.....maybe it will just be a matter of time before the 3rd party mappers start mapping for this bike and someone plugs off the cat and creates a map for that and pipes and filter. If cat bypass only gained 1/2 as much as the RIII gains, the total gains for pipes filter and cat bypas should be right about where BB kit puts it, and the cost would be 1/4 as much plus whatever it copsts to map it and any parts to plug the cat.

i don\'t know much about this stuff so i may be missing something, so lemmie know. But i\'d much prefer a cheaper and easier route to that extra 15 HP than the BB kit.
I agree i think other tuning options could produce good results, when the bike was at my local dealer i noticed the cat box rite infront of the wheel, producing a bypass should be easy, infact as both headers enter the box then leave again if you just have a straight bypass their wont be any crossover on the pipes, could sound nice.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Anyway - I am fortunate in getting Staintune to be using my bike as the test bed for their pipes. They will dyno before and after and they will do a remap of the ECU. I *SUSPECT* they may bypass the cat conv with the new pipes (slash cut BTW).
well that is very cool ! (staintune using your bike) If they do block the cat and get that much more power i would be very interested in that, at least assuming i like the look of the pipes they come up with and they arent too loud.

By the way, are they going to be upswept like the stock pipes? And will they be shorter like the short TORs or long like the stock pipes?

·
Registered
84 Posts
At this stage I dunno what the pipes would look like.....

I think following the stock pipe lines would be the way to go but slahs-cuts may not be an effective look because of the upswing of the pipe line. It may be that a balony cut may look better.....

Stan

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The usual stuff about warranties though would stop a cat removal plan or you can forget the warranty - does it come with just a year - or two?
not if you undo the bypass before taking it in. :) (assuming there isnt some sort of *seal* that would prove its been modded and then set back to stock)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts