Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Several of you suggested coils- which I replaced and the bike ran well for several hundred miles. Then yesterday, at the end of a 150 mile ride it started again- dead tach and 2 cyl...only not so intermittent. I parked it, did the event (stupid Americade) when we started a few hours later - it ran fine for about 20 miles- then again- for a long tome- tack stayed dead and it would occasionally and briefly (3 seconds) run well (though no tach) Then I shut it for about 5 minutes- started it up and it ran great for the rest of the way home (about 120 miles)!!

I'm kinda at my wits end- I got the nology coils- I was thinking to look at all connections again, maybe replace plugs? (hope springs eternal) But the dead tach kinda makes me think it isn't the plugs but something before the coil. Would the tach die if a plug was bad but getting spark? I'm reluctant to bring it to a shop- cause when it runs fine it could run fine for a hundred miles or 20 minutes! How do you diagnose a well running machine? Could it be a gas and not an electrical problem? (My wife says I have bad gas!)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Tach feed runs off one of the coil outputs at the Igniter, cyl 1 maybe, brown & yellow coil wire anyway. Could try swapping a couple of coils over, see what happens. Unplug & plug the Igniter connector, it wipes the contacts. Not unheard of to be an Igniter problem like this, know any you could swap in to try?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yeah, I would check the connections well. Didn't you have to make them up for the Nologys?
+1

Possibly the way I'd tackle this (suspecting a coil feed) is to run the bike on the stand with the tank off, remove the Igniter from it's 'boot' & tap it & the relevant wires up to the coils to see if I can get it to fail.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tach feed runs off one of the coil outputs at the Igniter, cyl 1 maybe, brown & yellow coil wire anyway. Could try swapping a couple of coils over, see what happens. Unplug & plug the Igniter connector, it wipes the contacts. Not unheard of to be an Igniter problem like this, know any you could swap in to try?
ummmm- is an "ignitor" the "proper" (British) term for "spark plug"? If so- are you saying that intermittent firing, with dead tach can be caused by bad spark plugs (ignitors) and is not unheard of? If so, might be worth the cost to just replace the plug...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1

Possibly the way I'd tackle this (suspecting a coil feed) is to run the bike on the stand with the tank off, remove the Igniter from it's 'boot' & tap it & the relevant wires up to the coils to see if I can get it to fail.
"tap it & the relevant wires up to the coils to see if I can get it to fail"
TAP?

of course the problem with all these excellent suggestions is that I can't MAKE THE PROBLEM OCCUR- so I need it too happen fortuitously-which problems rarely do!

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
ummmm- is an "ignitor" the "proper" (British) term for "spark plug"? If so- are you saying that intermittent firing, with dead tach can be caused by bad spark plugs (ignitors) and is not unheard of? If so, might be worth the cost to just replace the plug...

The ignitor is the electronic "black box" that controls the ignition. Sometimes mistakenly referred to as an ECU.

The British term for spark plugs is... spark plugs:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
"tap it & the relevant wires up to the coils to see if I can get it to fail"
TAP?

of course the problem with all these excellent suggestions is that I can't MAKE THE PROBLEM OCCUR- so I need it too happen fortuitously-which problems rarely do!

That's the idea, to try & get the fault to occur by disturbing the components, connections & wiring. Whatever you shake or tap that gets the bike to misfire contains your problem.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ignitor is the electronic "black box" that controls the ignition. Sometimes mistakenly referred to as an ECU.

The British term for spark plugs is... spark plugs:cool:
Donde esta la caja negra?
As far as I know, that's spanish for- "Where is the black box?"..minus some accent marks and an upside-down question mark.

Tonight I should have some time to fiddle with the thing. Now I get what you mean about "tap" thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
You should find it under the right side-panel.
Mine was attached to the battery box. Having the tach stop is definitely a black box symptom along with dropping a cylinder. Sucks. Triumph should acknowledge the Gill black box fails without warning and replace them at a reasonable price instead of 700. I had bought a replacement Gill and it failed after only a few thousand miles. I purchased an Ignitech black box and have been happy with it.

Good luck

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine was attached to the battery box. Having the tach stop is definitely a black box symptom along with dropping a cylinder. Sucks. Triumph should acknowledge the Gill black box fails without warning and replace them at a reasonable price instead of 700. I had bought a replacement Gill and it failed after only a few thousand miles. I purchased an Ignitech black box and have been happy with it.

Good luck
Is the test described in the manual for the igniter reliable? I'd hate to spend hundreds on replacing a good box. The manual looks like they use a specual tester...is it "triumph" or a generic tester that any decent shop would have?

Oh yeah- it is on the front of the battery box on my bike too.

Also- is the fail a fail- or does the box have ANY servicable parts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts