Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a couple of days owed me from work so I started the 12k service so I can ride on the w/e.

Everything is going ok apart from I can't get the darn cam cover off. I heard it was a***** but ***** the sucker don't wanna move.

Number 1 and 3 plugs were rusted to hell and the bolts holding the cam cover on were barely finger tight.

I'll keep pluging away I guess. :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
At each corner of the round buldges for the cam cover, there is a dab of silicone sealant. This is what makes the cover hard to remove.

A rubber mallet and a wide tipped prybar can help, but do not damage the sealing surface.

When you put in new plugs, spray a corrosion inhibitor into the plug wells before putting the coils in place - it helps. A bit of silicone grease on the coil boots will help seal the plug well better.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, Devi. That did the trick :-D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Always glad to help.

Make sure you add a touch of silicone in the same places before the cover goes back on.

Post the clearances you find when you measure them. It would be interesting to compare what each person gets at around the same mileage. Also, what oil have you been using? It might make a slight difference.

______________ NOT AN OIL THREAD!!! ___________________

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok the readings are in. :???:

All exhaust at .30

#1 inlet .2 and .2

#2 inlet .178 and .2

# 3 inlet .178 and .2

Oh, what to do :hammer: are they ok or do the inlet need some work?

I used mobil 4xt oil apart from 1500 miles on Repsol.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Recommended Valve Clearance:
In. ............ .0.10-0.20 mm
EX.. . . . . . . 0.20-0.30 mm

If the bucket/cam wears faster than the valve seats, you will be out of spec later. But the clearances seem to be close.

If it were me, I would shim the ones at .2 to near .178 like the others. I actually like one intake valve to have a touch more lash than the other in each cylinder. So that the valves leave the seats at very slightly different times.

Less lash on the left side intake valve (than the right side valve) tends to give the port a bit better velocity characteristics, but not much that you will ever notice. It also better loads the cam at high rpm - to reduce harmonics.

Just mental tech BS mostly. :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-03-01 11:10 ]

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
So which way the clearances tend to move (on a 955 or 1050)? Increase or decrease after the first checkup at 20000km?

If one was completely anal about valve adjustment, would smack in the middle of the tolerance range be best for Speedys?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Martin,
You have two actions working on the valve clearances.

Valve seat recession decreases the clearance - especially on the hotter exhaust valve.
Wear on the stem end of the valve and wear on the cams and buckets, increases the clearances.

Triumph claims the exhaust valve clearances tighten and the intake valve clearances increase - as the miles increase.

What is strange is that my clearances at ~1500 miles were nearly the same as Limey's - all at the wider end of the spectrum, and when I recently checked them (when I pulled the engine) they are still the same.

I would REALLY like to know what the specs REALLY are in a freshly assembled engine at the manufacturer.

[ This message was edited by: Devious2XS on 2007-03-01 11:50 ]

·
Registered
438 Posts
I think they are assembled on the loose end of the tolerance. At least I would do so and so happens to be the case with Limey. They are within spec so they are just fine. That´s what tolerances are for. They usually close with miles/kilometers rather than loosen up.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
On 2007-03-01 10:50, Limey wrote:
Ok the readings are in. :???:

All exhaust at .30

#1 inlet .2 and .2

#2 inlet .178 and .2

# 3 inlet .178 and .2

Oh, what to do :hammer: are they ok or do the inlet need some work?

I used mobil 4xt oil apart from 1500 miles on Repsol.

I'd leave them alone and see how they are at 24k.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, she lives. I measured them again twice, they are at the tight end of the outer tolerances so I left them alone. If I have to do them at 18k or so then so be it. Its not a hard job to do. :)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Good decision.
You can always check them and adjust later. I have a feeling that they haven't changed much since new.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts