Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes, I've heard this before.

When I looked for a helmet, the number one thing it had to have was a full face. Number two is that it had to be one of the lighter ones.

My RF1000 is Snell approved. It is very comfortable and practical. I guess if I did it all over again and can find the same helmet qualities in a DOT only helmet, I'd get it. But I have what I have and won't be changing for a long time.

It is very good that there is extensive research for motorcycle safety. Obviously, the best brain protection is using our brains in avoiding accidents to begin with. An alert, careful and skillful rider with no helmet is much safer than an idiot rider with a helmet.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
While the article is not new, I'm glad a new rider (to Triumph anyway) picked up on it. The truth is ratings aren't what they used to be, they never were what they used to be. The better design, the better chances of survival. I crash a 1984 700 Honda Sabre in 1985. Going 75 mph, took an off camber off a 40 foot expressway overpass (not smart/not good). Thank God for Pro Link on street bikes. Stood up on the seat leaned back and got it down the hill. Hit a drainage covery covered by high grass going 70. Flew at least 200 feet. Walked away. Wearing full leathers and an Arai Astro. It worked in 1985, probably works better with 20 years of design technology. Tow things: don't ride stupid (see above) and stick with high end brands with a history. It is worth every penny.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Brooksie,

Wow. Sure glad you walked away. I was not so lucky 18 years ago. Can't remember what helmet I was wearing, but it was a full face. When I was shown my helmet many days afterwards, the chin area had a very deep gash which would have been by chin (gone). The rest of the helmet had skid marks all over it from my LONG roll on the road.

Many years ago a guy I used to hunt with committed suicide because his face was so messed up after his face hit a pole with no helmet while motorcycling.

Helmets, don't leave home without 'em.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'm a big believer in the full face. I know it feels so cool to not where a helmet, and in CO I don't have to. (I don't think it should be the governments choice but that's another issue.) However, life would be pretty ruff with a messed up face.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts