Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorta, in that yes, I got a Harley :eek: but no, I won't be wearing a doo rag or assless chaps. :rolleyes:

Picked up a new 2011 Softail Deluxe a couple months ago. Went for a test ride with my neighbor and came back and they talked numbers I couldn't refuse. Less than employee cost! They figure it's really good PR having me on one since I ride a lot with a lot of different types of riders and I'm very sociable in both meatspace and cyberspace. lol

Years of good history with me and our Harley shop tho this is my first Harley. They have the only dyno in town and they did my Duc for free on my BD a few years back. And my bikes have won a couple Sportbike nights they sponsored. They're also THE most community active shop in town. They also provide a free campsite w/shower for travelers. Great folks.

Here I am on the test ride. I negotiated having them remove the footboards and installing pegs for more clearance and leg/foot comfort. They said they've put a lot of footboards ON but this was the first time they've taken them off! lol I'm not planning on doing too much else to it. It's very very comfortable now and I tell everyone it's the funnest way to go the speed limit.

And here's a video that my brother shot of me picking the bike up during the shop's Biketoberfest party. I can't EVEN believe they let me ride it thru the crowd! Later, Mark H.

http://youtu.be/st_7Z3Yc9OY

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Super nice bike you've got there Mark, I'm sure you'll get a ton of enjoyment out of it.

The bike right next to yours in that photo is the dead spit of mine. We just bought it in March of this year, a 2011 RK Classic, in black, just like that one. I guess I'm old school, 'cause I like the big whitewalls and spoked wheels.

The RK foot position is not quite as forward pronounced as the Softail's, so I didn't need to change, but I know what you mean. On the RK, you are kind of sitting up "straight" and not in the "easy chair" position you see a lot of. I don't care for that either. It must have something to do with seat height (?), and total wheelbase distance (?). That said, I think the owners modify the sitting position sometimes as well. Maybe it's required seating for the "pirate" crowd?:p

With the RK "Classic" designation, you get the new 103 motor, and the 6 speed, ABS, Security, etc. Nice. Looks like a motorcyle should sez me.

My wife and I use it for long trips, and it's an absolute joy to ride long distances. Great bike. 6000 miles this summer, zero problems whatsoever.

Have fun, you're gonna love that bike.!:D

Bob

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Good thing you aren't going to be getting any assless chaps. You certainly wouldn't want to be seen wearing any strange and unusual looking leather apparel. :rolleyes:

Nice looking bike. I like the green.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Nice ride AK. You've got a nice collection of bikes, man. And I really like the green/black color. That combo is an eye-catcher!

That your dealer has campsites and showers for travelers is really cool. I don't think I've heard of a dealer that does that. Then again Harley dealers usually have really nice showrooms and facilities.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Good thing you aren't going to be getting any assless chaps. You certainly wouldn't want to be seen wearing any strange and unusual looking leather apparel. :rolleyes:

Nice looking bike. I like the green.
I think his assless chap-wearing ass would freeze to the seat.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Congratulations, Mark! Here's to rolling your thunder all over Alaska!

:beerchug

That video was fun! It looks like you have a strong community with lots of good friends. Such a cool story!

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Wow! Some collection you have there Mark. If I hadn't seen The Long Way Round, I'd be scratching my head as to why you'd invested so deeply living in Anchorage, but apparently you have better roads than we do, not many corners though. I visualised Anchorage as snowbound for most of the year and only 4WD's and Skidoo's were viable transport. Still learning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts