Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken the head off my 05 Thruxton for porting/polishing/flowing. I managed to get the cams out thanks to the service manual, but had some trouble when removing the cam drive gear. I carefully removed the bolt and shaft from the gear, yet somehow still managed to drop the thrust-washer into the crankcase! DOH!!!!!
I got the washer out ok, but when I went to put the cam
drive gear/shaft/thrust-washer set-up back in I noticed there is quite a lot of play... ie the drive gear moves a few mm back and forwards along the shaft???
I am wondering if I have dropped another washer somehwere even though according to the service manual I have it right.
Is the gear supposed to move along the shaft like that? Is it the cam chain guides that hold it in place?
Any help will be greatly appreciated so I can sleep at night!

Cheers - Turkey

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
once that gear is tightened down there should be no free play whatsoever. Triumph changed the design of this part of the head a little bit over the years. Mine only has a washer on one side though. I call it the Death Washer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If your engine serial is under 186916, then you have a thrust washer on both sides.

186917 and up - one thrust washer.

There's also some low serial numbers that have a spring washer on the right....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

Yeah, going by my engine # Im supposed to have the same set up as you Sweat - it was the "death washer" I dropped into the crankcase. Im pretty sure there are no other missing parts, but the cam gear was definitely moving along the shaft :mad: I will have another look when I get my head back and let you know.

Cheers - Rhys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts