Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin recently bought a used 2001 speed triple, the first week he had the bike he dropped it at low speed did some cosmetic damage (mirrors, handle bars, few scrathes) he has been ridding the bike approx. 60 miles a day for the last 2 months since the accident. The other day he got on the bike to ride to work and he said it felt like he had a flat tire but his pressure was fine. He came back home and i rode the bike it felt like it was bouncing up and down so I pulled over and looked at the bike from the rear and the rear tire is not centered it is facing to the right. W took the bike to a local shop and the guy at the shop put it on the lift and said the rim was bent/warped and possible the axle. We are just confused as how this suddenly came on? he did not hit any big potholes or anything and the bike had been ridding fine. Has anyone ever had this problem? The axle nut is tight and the chain isnt overtightened maybe someone can give us some advice ...Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what throttle jockey meant??????????

There is no way the chain adjustment mechanism could cause that, First thing I would do is jack the back of the bike up from the frame to unload the rear suspension, check the wheel mount nut, loosen the eccentric carrier to put plenty of slack in the chain, try wobbling the rim itself pushing and pulling to note any play, if there is here, more than likely a bearing in the carrier. If no play there, I would have someone hold the main frame steady and try to move the swing arm side to side. if there is play there then it is the swing arm bearings at the frame pivot. Most of these bearing never get lubed during the life of the bike from most people and they won't give you any notice of failure until they fail. Ive seen it before, and I'm sure I'll see it again. If you spin the wheel while its jacked up, you will see if the rim is bent or not. More than likely, dropping the bike on its side did not cause this, PO neglegence did.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my service manual mentions a twin sided swing arm variant, but I have never seen one. Other than the swing arm bearings the only thing I could see failing with out warning is a broken belt in the tire. If nothing is obvious in the back, check your headstock bearings and triple tree alignment. front end problems can make the rear feel real squirmy

·
Registered
453 Posts
SeepdTriple717,
Disassemble the rear end and check sh*t as you go.

Support the bike under the 2 tabs where the rear suspension linkage bolts to the frame. Spin the rear wheel to determine if the rim is bent. Then take a look and figure out if the center of the rear wheel is on the center line of the bikes centerline (does the centerline of the rear wheel line up with the bikes centerline and the centerline of the front wheel).

It seems from your post that, from the rear, it appears the rear wheel is "pointing to the right" as you look at the bike from the rear. Disassemble the rear end:
Remove the rear wheel. Pull out the sprocket coupling. Remove the rear axle/brake disc carrier. Pull out the hub assembly. Does everything look true? Do all the bearings in the hub look OK? Is your axle straight? Is the outside of the hub worn?
Buy yourself a Haynes manual if you are unsure. You should be able to figure this out.
reply with questions!

·
Registered
171 Posts
my service manual mentions a twin sided swing arm variant, but I have never seen one. Other than the swing arm bearings the only thing I could see failing with out warning is a broken belt in the tire. If nothing is obvious in the back, check your headstock bearings and triple tree alignment. front end problems can make the rear feel real squirmy
Twin sided swing arm was on the Daytona only. Most shop manuals cover both of these models when they made a big Daytona.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts