Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a weird thing is happening with my bike. 3 times in the past few weeks the bike has stalled on me after filling up on gas. All 3 times, I have filled up all the way and after pulling out, the bike starts to sputter like it is running out on gas. I have to switch the bike to reserve and run it for a few minutes and then switch to main and it runs final. Anyone have any ideas why this happening? the bike only has 1700 miles and doesn't do it all it time.
The damn thing stalled today on the highway and I was lucky to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Read a lot of posts with similar concerns - wound up being clogged petcock screen, tank vent, or clogged/kinked fuel line. Check each carefully. Happened to me a few times and I chose the route of hoping it would not happen again. That worked for me! LOL!

·
Registered
249 Posts
When putting fresh gas in it sometimes stirs up tank crud and it will clog the pet cock. Not sure what year bike you have or how many miles you have, nevertheless there is alot of debris that will build up inside a gas tank
You may want to check your fuel system starting with fuel filter if you have one. Check the petcock screen if you can.
Remove the fuel hose at the carb and drain out some gas into a container with the petcock at the regular position and at the reserve position. If you see debris, grit, paint chips, sand what have you, that may be the cause. You may want to remove the tank and pull the petcock and clean out the tank. If you do not want to pull the petcock you can drain the tank by turning the tank up side down and drain out the tank through the fill hole. Once it is drained put a little fresh gas in it and swish it around and drain out again. Chances are you will see some debris,
You may also want to drop the Carbs bowls and see if there is debris in the bowl.

As a rule if i see a gas tanker making delivery at a station I will not put gas from that station for 12 hours. When they fill the tanks it kicks up crud and regardless how much filtration system they use crud does get into your tank.
Anyway
what ever the case may be let us know what it is.
JC
OK, a weird thing is happening with my bike. 3 times in the past few weeks the bike has stalled on me after filling up on gas. All 3 times, I have filled up all the way and after pulling out, the bike starts to sputter like it is running out on gas. I have to switch the bike to reserve and run it for a few minutes and then switch to main and it runs final. Anyone have any ideas why this happening? the bike only has 1700 miles and doesn't do it all it time.
The damn thing stalled today on the highway and I was lucky to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
check the tank vent hose there is a vavle in the bottom of it remove that see if it fixes it .Its called a roll over valve .ITstops gas from flowing out the vent if the bike gets turned up side down.Alot of people have had trouble with them closeing the vent off and stoping gas from getting out of the tank

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a similar problem on another bike (2000 Indian Chief). It too had low miles. Turned out there was some type of debris in the tank that looked like a very fine gray dust, all evenly sized. Probably was debris left in there from the manufacturing/finishing process. The fuel tap screen was really plugged up and it was surprising to me that it ran at all. I've only had the Thruxton for a short time and have already had the tank off. It's pretty easy and you can quickly check all of the hoses too. Good luck!

Doug :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if it was debris or a dirty fuel filter, i would think it wouldn't matter if the fuel was on main or reserve. Its like the bike thinks its out of gas and then once it runs on reserve for a few, it runs fine on main line. Its annoying, lol.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actual it does matter Res or main.
The main has a long pipe and the when the fuel starts to flow the debris will collect along the screen at the top of the pipe and cause a restriction in the flow. When placed in reserve the flow goes to the bottom and the debris will fall away and the flow is increased and the debris by then have settled.
Nevertheless
Check all the stuff mentioned but do the simplest checks where tank removal is not involved. if the problem does not go away go deeper and get the tank off.
as mentioned tank removal takes only a few minutes.
I really think the culprit here is the screen in which case you will need to remove the tank to get to the Petcock screen.

BTW
Does this problem occur more often when filling a near empty tank then topping up a half tank?

jc

if it was debris or a dirty fuel filter, i would think it wouldn't matter if the fuel was on main or reserve. Its like the bike thinks its out of gas and then once it runs on reserve for a few, it runs fine on main line. Its annoying, lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it happened once when tank was almost empty and the other two times it was about half empty. thanks for all the help. i'll let you know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts