Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Tiger --14000 km --ran like a top last year --stored mid Novemeber in dry but non -heated barn ( Canada -30c this winter)
Removed battery-- added fuel stabilizer to full tank of fuel

battery now on full charge - temp here + 10c. Will turn over like crazy-- can hear it sucking air--- not even close to any ignition?

Suggestions please??

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,801 Posts
Maybe the air you're hearing is being sucked past a family of mice?

·
Registered
430 Posts
go back to basics with it, two things to check, Fuel and Spark, i would bet fuel first, check the plugs look for flooding, do the old trick or a little fuel down the plugs and see if it fires,

possable fuel has sludged in the carb

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
no start

Get rid of the fuel. Drain tank, and carbs, put fresh fuel in with a good dose of "SeaFoam", try again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Started

Finally got it going this morning. Seems to be a fuel issue of some kind but just held the starter down and cranked it for 20 seconds or so and it just fired up.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,801 Posts
It's probably still a good idea to run some fuel injector cleaner through it, and check the air filter.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I'll add that, depending on how many miles are on the fuel filter and whether the fuel is absolutely rotten (which shouldn't be the case after one year, but could be), you might think about changing the fuel filter.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Guzzlean

Year old gas is shot! These days and with the additives they put in gas, it can easily go bad after even a week. I would not trust gas over a month old!
Yes, stabilizers will help keep gas in better shape, but many of the oxidizers will evaporate in spite of stabilizers. One of the best, while we are on the subject, is stuff called "Seafoam" and can be found at your local wally world.
Personally, I would store a bike with a full tank, primarily to keep condensation from forming, but would drain it after a winter and put fresh gas in your bike. You can put the old fuel in your car or lawn mower if you like.
Old, bad gas has a distinctive oily smell to it, you can tell it's bad just by sniffing it, it has a foul smell in general. Try it with your bike if you still have old fuel in it. Fresh gas on a rag, sniff, old gas on a rag, sniff....you will notice a difference. Don't inhale a good lungfull by burying your nose in the rag...lol.....not good, but rather just an eyedropper or two will prove the point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts