Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Tiger --14000 km --ran like a top last year --stored mid Novemeber in dry but non -heated barn ( Canada -30c this winter)
Removed battery-- added fuel stabilizer to full tank of fuel

battery now on full charge - temp here + 10c. Will turn over like crazy-- can hear it sucking air--- not even close to any ignition?

Suggestions please??

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
gbeasley, that doesn't sound brilliant, although if it was running last year there is no reason it shouldn't now. Unless a rat chewed up your inlet manifold or the fuel line.

When you say "turns over like crazy" what exactly does that mean? How many times did you try? These are the things I "think" could be the cause.
1) Fuel pump may be taking longer to prime the injectors because of the recent cold conditions. Try turning the key on, waiting for the prime, then off, then on wait for the prime again - you should hear the pump priming. Then try to start with no throttle.
2) If no start from above, try with some throttle, you just never know.
3) If the battery is charged well enough, but oil is thickened because of cold, it may slow it enough to not fire.
4) If it's still not firing, then you may need to start removing things, like tank, plugs and associated stuff to see whether you're getting spark and fuel. Check your manual, but start with the easy stuff first.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
help won't start

Finally got it going this morning. Seems to be a fuel issue of some kind but just held the starter down and cranked it for 20 seconds or so and it just fired up.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You locked it in an unheated barn for the winter and expected it to cooperate when you let it out. My Maggie wouldn't put up with that kind of treatment! You think I leave her out in the Arizona sun during the summer? I don't think so! It's not just a motorcycle, it's a TIGER!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
OK, I'll drop the editorial comments and make a suggestion.
I would be wary of fuel stabilizers due to the plastic tank and the delicate innerds of a FI system. If the tank is full, condensation should be minimal so all those hydrocarbon drying agents are just going to add to the chemical soup in the tank. I would just fill the tank to the top and plug the vents. But then, I live in the desert........

·
Registered
336 Posts
First off, where in Canada do hail?

Secondy, I store all my bikes in an unheated garage over the winter months and never had a start-up problem. In fact, my Tiger fired straight up on the second try of the starter button in December! I bet you had some bad gas. The other thing I noticed is the fuel pressure regulator does not like cold conditions. Either way, glad you got her started.

I started her up every two months since October... once in December and once in February. The battery stays indoors and get's put on a 1 AMP trickle charger for 5 hours every two months.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kurgan
I am just north of London Ontario. Much colder here than the tropics of Hamilton!! I am going with the bad gas theory...although I always use premium from a local Sunoco or Shell sstation as oppposed to the discount guys.Like you I had no problem last year with the same storage pattern. I remove the battery to the house and fully charge it in the spring.Anyway it is running fine now so I took it to the dealer for a once over. Also installing a Stebel Nautilus and some PIAA lights to keep the cages and deer away.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kurgan
I am just north of London Ontario. Much colder here than the tropics of Hamilton!! I am going with the bad gas theory...although I always use premium from a local Sunoco or Shell sstation as oppposed to the discount guys.Like you I had no problem last year with the same storage pattern. I remove the battery to the house and fully charge it in the spring.Anyway it is running fine now so I took it to the dealer for a once over. Also installing a Stebel Nautilus and some PIAA lights to keep the cages and deer away.
Are you a SWOMP member?

Sometimes hard starting can be indicative of tight valves. Have you had them checked recently? I had my head gasket replaced under warranty, and while they were in there, they did the valves (obviously) and at only 1500 km on the odometer one exhaust valve was "very tight". The tech believes it was assembled from the factory that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts