Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased the British Customs retro tail light and need some help with the install. Link below to the product page. This should be a plug and play unit but it is not working. When I installed the tail light the brake light is always on. When I hit the brake, the brightness of the light does not change. If I plug the stock unit back in I do not have this problem.

Has anyone run into this with the BC tail light? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Retro Tail Light for Air Cooled

Thanks for the help,
Kevin

·
Registered
107 Posts
Really cool looking tail light; sorry it's not working. You can find a number of posts on this forum describing issues with aftermarket wiring harnesses.

EDIT: Bike model and year is in the title.

First I'd check the fuses to be sure nothing blew, and check with a DVM for continuity and not via eyeball method as the fuses can look okay but be blown. You need fuses 7,8, and 10 to be good.

Step two after checking the fuses is make sure the wires are lining up correctly. I know the website says it's made for your bike. Was there any modification done to the stock harness previously? Your bike's five-pin-in-a-six-pin connector should be putting out the following: (Note - the columns run 1-3-5 and 2-4-6, so you can orient yourself via the empty 4th pin):
1 - left indicator
2 - brake - GreenPurple Wire
3 - tail - Yellow Wire
4 - empty
5 - ground
6 - right indicator

Step three, I'd check for continuity on your aftermarket harness. Use the DVM to check brake to ground and tail to ground. Make sure those are good and something isn't wrong from the factory.

These are the simple things to check before it starts getting more interesting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Had a quick look at the light on the website, it looks good But I have never seen anything like it on a British bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts