Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it has been a while and now I am looking to get a new Triumph but I would really appreciate your views before I buy as I am sure you know a lot more than me . I am after a project but nothing too intensive. The bike is
2003 Triumph T100
3800 miles (backed up by mot data )
Very good condition that appears right for its age and mileage. All Chrome is mint etc..
Started straight up from cold with no choke.
£4600 inc private t100 plate.
The bike does have some negatives however
1)Surface rust in upper part of fuel tank which can be removed. The neck rust was removed by rubbing with finger
2) sticky throttle cable

Would you guys be put off, mainly by the tank rust. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
It would depend on how much and where the rust is. By the neck if are you referring to inside the fuel neck that would probably indicate a good fuel tank flushing will be in order. That might give you some negotiating room.
Those years are great bikes . Simple, strong, attractive and nearly bullet proof.

The sticky throttle cable would not stop me at all. Lube the cable and or the throttle tube and you should be good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Back2-2,
Thank you very much for the reply. The rust appears to be nothing more than surface rust around the neck and some soft paint, which I understand is very common even on newer bikes.
I am very reassured to know the bikes were well. Made and bullet proof.
As I have the option to buy a carb hinkley triumph for a lot less than an efi model I didn't want to pass the bike up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh dear, u am such a noob. Didn't even realise the tank size was different. Thanks for the info.

I really don't get small tanks and certainly not HD peanut tanks on a 1200 sportster. 70-80 miles before a refill....... Who ever though of that great idea😂

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't want to put you off, but the earlier bikes had an issue with the starter gear shaft snapping, I'm not sure which year bikes had this problem but I do know that Triumph modified the engine casing's to rectify this. Have a read of this thread

I read up on this before I bought my America and managed to get a 2007 carb bike with the newer casings for under 4 grand from a dealer with less than 7000 miles on it. I'm not to sure on the prices of t100's but I would try and get a later bike if you can.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
TTP Safe-Start will take care of that problem. Cheap insurance, not hard to install.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have had a look at the ttp safe-start which seems to be a relatively cheap item to solve the kikc back problem.
I am unaware of ANY bike without issues of some sort.

The bike is really nice. I was very fortunate to see it when it came in. It is completely stock and had not been polished or masked over by the dealer so I am confident the bike is avery very good example.
Based on that I think I will fit safe start and buy the bike.
Thanks so much everyone

·
Super Moderator
1,645 Posts
It sounds like a fantastic machine! I know I will not be parting with mine ever which I have never said before and owned dozens of bikes over the years. The safe-start piece is no big deal to install. It's just cheap insurance. I built my own version but it is not a costly item to just buy either.
Post it up so we get to see this bad boy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts