Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to leave out a bunch of this story, because my exhaust swap and rejet ended up taking about 6 hours total. And I'm not even really finished. As predicted, the screws on the float covers were a bear to get off, and 2 of them stripped. It took me an hour to remove them. I finally got them off, and got the mains rejetted (the exhaust swap, of course, was a joke).

But here's the minor emergency. When I was trying to take out the pilots, the metal tube/cylinder around one of the pilot jets broke! A 3 or 4 mmx3 or 4 mm square chip broke off, well above the jet. That is, the chip came out of the visible portion of tube, above where the pilot jet is seated.

Naturally, I stopped and wrapped everything up, leaving in the old pilot jets. The bike seems to run, but is it safe to run? Did I***** my carb? Or is that part of the carb assembly just for show, essentially?

I'm just trying to figure out if the bike is safe to drive the 10 miles to my dealer for repair, or if I should have it flatbedded in.

For the record, the small piece of metal did not drop into the engine. It fell right into my hand, and I tossed it.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Dunno! If you broke a hole in the 'tube' that passes fuel from the float bowl thru the pilot jet ..... I'd guess you may have a problem. if it was part of an external casting that didn't make an opening into the tube, well. maybe it'll be ok.

How does it run now? If like c***, maybe a flatbed is in order.

Also, ck out the price of new carbs thru Triumph. You may be a candidate for a set of flat slides, or maybe you can purchase new carbs directly thru Keihin. I suspect Triumph wants an arm and a leg for carbs.

Note - I am no expert at this ..... just responding based on experience with lots of bikes.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Bob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it seems to run fine, actually. The Predator pipes are spectacular in every way, and it just sounds like a badass race bike. My guess would be that if I broke a hole in the tube, I would have serious issues getting it running at all. Any other ideas are very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
If you had said the piece of tube broke off below the pilot jet, I would say you would be OK; however, since you say it is above the pilot jet, I suspect the pilot circuitry in that carb is history. Are you sure the piece of the tube came from above the pilot jet. The reason I ask is I can't imagine how one would break the tube above the pilot jet...if one used too big a screwdriver or let it slip with side pressure, I would think the part of the tube below the pilot jet would break. I remember the pilot jet is up in the tube a good distance.

If you have to have a new carb, there are a number of people on this forum that have replaced their carbs with CR's, Flat side's, etc. They may be willing to sell you the stock pair much cheaper than you can buy one from Triumph. The carbs are much easier to remove and install as a connected pair.

Good Luck,
Larry

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
With a 3-4 mil piece, it's probably a chunk of sloppy casting metal. Good on ya for being lucky enough to find it before it got under a valve in the combustion chamber. You should be able to tell by examining the fragment. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm probably not describing it right. The pilot jet sits in a tube, like a roll of toilet paper. Let's call the narrow end "up" and the flat, screwdriver-accepting end "down".

The piece broke off from below the jet, in that description. It was from the edge of the tube, right where you would insert a screwdriver to remove the pilot jet.

·
Registered
572 Posts
it'll be OK then, you've just chipped the bottom edge of the pilot tube. If it still runs normal and well, don't worry (and you got the bit, so it's not floating about in there good luck with it, bet it's fine cheers, Pat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts