Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm rebuilding my 95 TBird carbs on my way too cluttered bench. Take em apart, hit em with carb cleaner (after taking them outside, as I have a propane heater on in my container I call a garage), bring it back, and start putting things back together. And two o-rings (not three) appear on the towel under the carbs when I turn it over. I cannot for the life of me figure out where they go. Or how they survived being hit with a can of carb cleaner 20 feet away, and carried back.

I went thru the exploded parts diagram on Bike Bandit(Serial 30656 and below), and they do NOT appear! They are slightly smaller than the o-ring for the vacuum pipe. The pic shows the three vacuum pipe o-rings, with the two unknowns next to them. Please note that it is NOT part #15, as the exploded parts pic incorrectly shows that o-ring at the top of the needle jet, when u=it is actually attached to the bottom of the plastic insert that is also not even shown.

Any ideas? I'm stumped. I don't want to put them back together until I get it figured out. I am not entirely confident in the exploded parts page on Bike Bandit, as another small brass orofice also made an appearance on the towell when dissassemblying the carbs. It too is not on the exploded parts list-but turns out that it is an insert within the float assembly, and BB does not list sub parts I guess...

I feel like a dope. I guess there is a possibility that they just happened to fall off my shelf and land under they carb from another project (I told you my place was cluttered). But, I was not working with any o-rings that small, at least unless they happened to fall off another part unknown...??? And the odds of two identical parts appearing simultaneously right under the carbs I'm working on are probably impossibly high....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Just what I was thinkin', where the bowl meets the body at those passages.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes. If that is what they are, how come no detail on the exploded parts? The better question is, now I only have two, and need to purchase another one. Since its not listed, where the heck do I get one? Argh!*#@ :brick:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yikes. If that is what they are, how come no detail on the exploded parts? The better question is, now I only have two, and need to purchase another one. Since its not listed, where the heck do I get one? Argh!*#@ :brick:
The parts diagrams probably show that the whole float assembly, as a unit has to be replaced. I replaced the float o'rings in my kehin carbs. I went to ACE hardware, found three that fit and put them in. They work fine! Cost? 10 cents each.

If they turn out to not be the o-rings for the float assembly, and for some reason I don't think they are, you may be looking at the pilot screw o-rings. What is the estimated i.d. (inner diameter) of the o-rings? See, those pilot screw o-rings could have stayed behind in the carb after you disassembled it only to fall out later.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have raplaced the O rings on the floats with Suzuki parts

the part #s are 13374-46710 $2.96 ea
and 13374-35C00 $4.10 ea

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input guys. After being convinced it indeed came out of the carbs, :eek: I finally spent another couple hours and took my other TBird carbs apart for verification; sometimes its handy having another identical bike..:rolleyes:. This was after calling the local Triumph Dealership, which was just a waste of time.

They indeed fell off the fuel inlet connection on the float, but they reside in a well on the carb body - which is how I missed them. There are also two other o-rings on the float itself.

Finally found a local repair shop that had an entire set of about 30 different o-rings for Mikunis, and was able to find some that matched, so I was also able to replace the cracked o-rings that were on the floats as well. Yippie!!!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Erm, those 2 tiny O-Rings look like the idle mixture screw seals. If you removed the idle screws there should be one of those O-Rings, a tiny metal washer, and a spring. It could be that one is still stuck in the idle mixture screw hole, hence there being only 2 visible.

If you lost one of those then she aint gonna run when you put it all back together.

I would suggest replacing them anyway as a matter of course because they do go bad and cause idle and fuel-consumption problems.

Here's the idle mixture screw assembly -

And a general overview of all the parts -

The Mikuni part ' for those O-Rings is N133037

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
A-B,
Once again, you're amazing!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
lol, thanks Charlie :). Now if my boss would just see that and give me a huge raise, or a week off work, or.....

:party

1 - 12 of 12 Posts