Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright new to this forum just picked up a basket case from my cousin which he has had in pieces for about 20 years. I would like to know what you guys can tell me from the engine code. T120r du66525, now by using search i figured out T120= 650. I have now clue what the r is and he said he thinks a 68, but who knows. I would also like for you guys to tell me how you decoded it just so i know for my own knowledge in the future. Thanks in advance Dj

·
29,947 Posts
Ah, I'm afraid you have posted in the Hinckley twins area, for Bonnies made from 2000 onwards. Not to worry though, I will move your post into our classics, bintage and veteran forum, where there is a lot more knowledge on the older bikes.

Welcome aboard, I hope you have fun with your bike and the forum!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Snake, those are '68 Bonneville numbers, very early '68 numbers.

I got the info by reference to Gaylin's Triumph Motorcycle Restoration Guide, but it is available on the net. One of the members has ready access to more detailed info on some bikes and he may chime in with further details.

Triumph changed the numbering system a couple of time over the years. The information is available on the web, try here: http://www.tioc.org/

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
Yep, early 68 should have the old crankcase breather system with a tube exiting above and ahead of the engine sprocket. You have to lie on your back to see it WAY up there in the dark (use a flashlight). That tube should have a hose connected to it that rises up near the battery and joins a "Y" fitting from the oil tank breather.

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
A few unique items from '68 are:

-fluted knave plate hub cover on the opposite side of the front brake

-front brake with the two straight actuator arms (one long, one short) and cable pointing rearward from the anchor point

-twin "open" type Lucas horns pointing to either side under the tank (not enclosed Clear Hooter "snail" type)

...c'mon guys, help me out here; what other items were unique, besides paint?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You guys have it nailed, dispatched 11th August 1967 to Tricor, Baltimore. 1968 season started at DU66249, 3rd July 1967. T120R (Road sports).
Roy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are great, that was a lot faster then i thought. well i have the engine totally apart now found a few things missing. ie stator cover and some other random stuff. I think im just going to replace the rings and slap together see how she rolls. This is unless i can find a cheap 750 kit. I also need to get a gasket set and new carbs. any suggestions on a good reliable and cheap place to find this stuff i would appreciate. In the mean time i will take a few pics and post them later to show you guys progress.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Margo?

You guys are great, that was a lot faster then i thought. well i have the engine totally apart now found a few things missing. ie stator cover and some other random stuff. I think im just going to replace the rings and slap together see how she rolls. This is unless i can find a cheap 750 kit. I also need to get a gasket set and new carbs. any suggestions on a good reliable and cheap place to find this stuff i would appreciate. In the mean time i will take a few pics and post them later to show you guys progress.
I have -68 Trophy myself and I am looking at the Margo 750 kit.
Anyone who knows anything about the Margo kit?

http://www.morgo.co.uk/750cc.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts