Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just finishing a ride for a couple of hours (last mile).

Coolant light came on.
Temperature gauge started flashing.
Parked up and liquid (I assume coolant) gushes out of the rubber pipes at the bottom of the bike.
Coolant expansion tank thing is now empty.

I can deal with low coolant but this seems like something else? But it all happened together with no warning. No known damage.

Street Triple 2010.

I'd be grateful for a steer.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I understand that your engine was over heating. So the coolant pressure rized. At that point the radiator cap valve should have opened up and the excess should have gone to the overflow tank. Instead the pressure was so high that the less resistant clamp gave up (I guess).
So is sounds two problems to me. Overheating and rad cap valve stuck.

Were you riding or stopped when it happened?
Is you fan operating normally?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Still riding (slowly, just arriving home) when the light came on. Stopped, then it flushed. Fan seems ok.
Is the cap valve something I can check/adjust or if it is that, it needs a new one?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I personally clean it w/ water and a tooth brush. But to me it doesn't explain the overheating.
But still you can change it. I don't know any simple way to test it.
What did you do regarding the hose from where the coolant erupted?

Can you precisely describe in what order and what time frame and which exact condition the successive events occurred?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure. Rode for 1.5 hours. About 1 mile from home the coolant red light came on and the temp gauge started flashing. I was so close I carried on. Pulled onto my drive and a load of what must be coolant came shooting out of the bottom of the bike. From one of those thin hoses that point straight down. I parked up and took the seat off and looked in the overflow plastic tank which looks empty. The whole thing was 5 minutes from the light coming on. Thats all I know sorry. I have some motol all purpose MC coolant to put in (I planned just to pour it in the overflow to the min mark) tomorrow, but there must be a problem which will presumably reoccur.

It is not a leak as much as it all fell out. Its clearly too hot, but I don't know why.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Can you please take a picture of the said hose or double check whether it's an hose coming from the overflow tank?
Which one? Not so sure that the radiator cap has something to do w/ your issue.

BTW I forgot an obvious culprit: the thermostat. This one may be checked.
To put coolant you have to open the radiator cap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4.jpg

One of these small ones. I think the one furtherst forward because this looks wet inside. The puddle has dried up now so not 100%, but it came out of one of those. Not the much larger hoses.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
So it's the overflow hose of the overflow tank. The coolant escaped when the valve of the radiator cap opened up under the hard pressure due to the overheating.
You ought to check the opening operation of the calorstat (thermostat). In the mean time, in order to check whether everything is OK apart from the thermostat you can suppress it temporarily and fill the engine w/ coolant folowing the service manual procedure.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just to point out, this is the Speed Triple forum, you said your bike is a Street Triple? If it wasn't a typo then you might be better off posting in the right forum as there isn't any commonality between the speed and the street.

That said, the 05-10 speeds had a habit of puking coolant overboard even when filled to the correct level, they prefer to sit on the low end of the scale it seems. People have reported good results from replacing the radiator cap but that doesn't explain your coolant light flashing. Hope you get it sorted :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes Street. Sorry its in the wrong place.
I took it to the garage today. They changed the coolant. Said they couldn't find a problem. Rode home (20 mins) and it happened again! No warning light, but coolant dropping out and the fan sounds odd. The "good news" is I got part of it on video.

https://youtu.be/xZ--4zRJUdk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Was the fan running in that video? If so it sounds like the blades are rubbing on the radiator.

Does the Street have a temp gauge or just a "too hot" warning light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It has both. A set of temp bars. Then the first time this happened the whole gague was flashing when the light came on. It always runs hot (2 bars from the top). The first time there was a warning light. The second time there wasn't a wasnt a light and the temp gauge was not full.

It was the noise in the video I meant. Now you mention it, I am not sure if the fan was still "on" then (because the engine had been off briefly) when I stopped.

I have a rad cap on order. I don't know why that would make a difference but I'll give it a try. Fred says maybe also the thermostat which would be next.

Thanks!

·
Registered
439 Posts
The rad cap has the pressure relief valve in it which is basically a spring valve. The spring can weaken with age and open the valve at lower pressures than intended, passing coolant to the expansion tank during normal running instead of when high pressure develops. Over time this can fill the expansion tank, then the bike will start puking coolant overboard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for explaining. I am learning, and that sounds like a reasonable suspect. I hope to have it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
It has both. A set of temp bars. Then the first time this happened the whole gague was flashing when the light came on. It always runs hot (2 bars from the top). The first time there was a warning light. The second time there wasn't a wasnt a light and the temp gauge was not full.

It was the noise in the video I meant. Now you mention it, I am not sure if the fan was still "on" then (because the engine had been off briefly) when I stopped.

I have a rad cap on order. I don't know why that would make a difference but I'll give it a try. Fred says maybe also the thermostat which would be next.

Thanks!
You can test your thermostat in a pan of water. It should open up at 82°C (AFAIR). And it should be widely opened.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts