Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i put preds on,and ordered the diy airbox kit,came with 135/45,i put one shim and 2.5 turns out,my bike has what acts like a miss now and will usually die at a stop or idle,thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Play with the mixture screws a bit. Try opening them up another half turn (keep track of what you are doing). If it gets worse, go the other way.

You should really only make adjustments when the bike is thoroughly warmed up.

·
30,533 Posts
That's a good starting point. Also - do you find the bike starts really easily when cold? Your pilot jet is quite large. It may be that you are running quite rich with that 45. A 42 might be better.

Do what Joe says first though, mixture screw and pilot jet work together, and adjusting the mixture screw is easier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
pilots

i'm guessing that if you already put the 45s on you were able to get the stock ones out.... congrats. those little bastards are really in there. did you take the carbs all the way off to get them out? i've got my 42s sitting in a drawer awaiting the courage to take mine all the way off. i'm still running stock pilots which might benefit from the upgrade.

you could try a dyno jet kit which pretty much tells you exactly how to install it and apparently has a good rep for being almost dead on. they actually require no increase in pilot size for those type of pipes if memory serves me correctly.

·
30,533 Posts
Well, the dynojet kit is really a stage 1 kit. With the set up the OP has he should be able to get it running really nicely with the stock springs and needle.

Will likely need a shim under the needle, and 42 pilots would be better. I'm surprised they sent 45s to be honest.

·
Registered
32 Posts
no stage, stage 1 or stage 2

don't mean to hijack the post, but i've heard the terms stage 1 and two and have no idea what they mean!

·
30,533 Posts
Stage 1 is basically a stock air intake system, with jetting modifications, and maybe silencer mods. Stage 3 is when you go to pod filters on the carbs and tear off the stock intake system - and definitely have freeflowing exhaust.

Stage 2 is in the middle there somewhere I guess........:D

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hey Redninja if a diy kit is pods, then you need to go up in the mains.42 pilots and start with 140's for mains. Those Preds are very free flowing. 2 1/2 turns out is a good start. I love those Preds

·
30,533 Posts
Yep - I'm running preds and 140 seems right - maybe even slightly bigger. 42 on the pilots as you say. ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i think just to big,,i've turned in and out from 1.5 to 3 turns,,i told the company i had preds and was surprised that i was sent 135/45,,but thought maybe being at sea level was the reason,i know all i mostly see on here is 140/42
its way rich,fires right up,and has more trouble at idle once warm

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, the dynojet kit is really a stage 1 kit. With the set up the OP has he should be able to get it running really nicely with the stock springs and needle.

Will likely need a shim under the needle, and 42 pilots would be better. I'm surprised they sent 45s to be honest.
They call it a stage 1 kit, but the only real limitation is the mains supplied with the kit. By supplementing it with some richer mains, you can have a great setup running pods and free flowing pipes.

·
30,533 Posts
This is true. In fact I am running a dynojet needle and spring right now. I have removed the airbox so I am using standard Keihin jets (140 at the moment).

Dynojet state (somewhere - can't find it now of course) that their jets are made to work with their needles, and are not a direct equivalent with other makes. I don't know if this is true, but jets are cheap so I thought I might get some appropriately sized dynojets and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yeah, I am not sure why they say that other than to get you to buy jets from them. I have mixed and matched in a bunch of different CV carbs to get what I wanted. I know the numbers don't match up, but mixing has never been a problem for me.

I know that on my Bonneville, switching to the DJ needles and springs was the solution after ditching the air box.

·
30,533 Posts
That's good info to have. I might pick up a couple of jets from them anyway, just because I can basically go inbetween the jet sizes I currently have - so that I can really fine tune if necessary. I am very happy so far, a bit more work and I'll have this bike running really well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok i'm at 140/42 now,at 2.25 turns out,it idles really good and the dying stopped,but it doesnt feel as strong as it did with the 135/45 set up,,are the turns just for idling or does it affect overall richness?maybe i'm alittle lean?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well with 45's in you had gobs of fuel at the low end but where probably thirsty when you hit 3500-4000rpm and the 135's kicked in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts