Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyways, last night my neighbor calls me at work and says the Sprint is on its side in the parking lot.... to say I was murderous is an understatement! I can only HOPE that I can stay out of jail if I every find the punk-*ss kid(s) or idiot adult that did it! Anyways, looks like only the left-side fairing is broken (Lucky I guess). Tank was almost empty before incident (good). WHAT should I look for in regards to the engine? No damage appears, but do I need to worry about anything? I have not started her yet, and am getting ready to peel the plastic for deeper look. Thanks in advance!
Kevin
:mad:

[ This message was edited by: KevyKev on 2006-12-04 16:19 ]

·
Registered
20 Posts
sorry to hear about your disaster! what i would look for is any broken or loose pieces on the outside, then when i take off the fairing look for any places the fairing may have been pushed into pieces underneath it, bent brackets, loose wires, loose hoses, cracked covers, leaking fluids, broken or bent chain guard and/or countershaft sprocket cover, handlebar end, switch gear, bent or broken lever. take your time, carefully look at even the most obvious items. usually if you're not moving you don't do major damage. good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Unfortunately mine has found its way to the ground on both sides. Beyond the heartbreak of the plastic, it really doesn't damage much. You might have to straighten a shift lever or the brake or something, but not a whole lot.

Now, how bout them R&G frame sliders?

·
Registered
528 Posts
maybe pull out the spark plugs and spin the engine over in case any fuel got into the cylinders,this would prevent hydraulicing the engine (bending the crank or rod from trying to compress a cylinder right full of fuel)
my 2 cents

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys. RS --- that's what I was worried about too. Guess removing the plugs and giving a crank or two would be a good idea. So far looks as though the right lower is the only damage. We had some snow on the ground (bike was covered though!) and I guess that may have helped "cushion" some parts thankfully. ***** the bastards though!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm guessing its been started by now.

If the bike has been on its side for a while, the usual thing is to put it on the center stand and leave it an hour or so before starting it, to let all the fluids go back to where they should be, especially the oil.

As with all the other advice about bent bits, oil can make its way into the air box, so while youre pulling the plastic off, remove the tank for access. Your coolant levels will need checking as well.

Check if you handlebar has been bent by turning the bars full lock and measure the distance between the bar and the tank, compare it with the other side.

Theres a lot of talk about the merits or not of crash sliders.

I have them on my 05, but they arrived a week to late for me to save the right side in the driveway.

My take is they will certainly save a lot in a fall like this. If youre in a situation where they are likely to break or bend the frame, youre in a world of hurt anyway and the outcome is not going to be good, regardless.

Hope this helps and its all ok.

Brett.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Mine has been dropped 4 times......

I'm a klutz, but no real damage.

Levers, mirrors, plastics and pegs. :brk:

·
Registered
204 Posts
I feel your pain brother!

I came home from work one day and my bike was sitting on the approach sidewalk to our house instead of in the driveway. What gives, I think to myself. When I get inside my stepfather tells me that he and my mom got home from lunch it was on its side because our boat had hit it. What?! I say. The perplexing thing is that the boat had been sitting there with no chauks (our fault) and not moved for the better part of two months. Hell, my cat jumped in and out everyday and we were scrubbing the water scuzz stuff off and it never moved - we even layed under it we were so sure. Anyway, my bike stopped the boat from causing a real accident by rolling into the street. I walked away with scuffed plastic and a bent handlebar. Our conclusion is that the boat had help to get moving. But who knows. I am not even going to start on the insurance guy's response.

We always say that these events add character to the machine.

rash

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
We always say that these events add character to the machine.

I've always said that my Triumph has heaps of character. I don't need any more, but thanks for the offer... :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again guys.

Beach---thanks for all your advice. I checked all, but your advice/tip on checking the bars versus the tank distance is a great idea.

All looks good except the right side lower fairing. I got lucky. I haven't fired her up yet because this 'incident' was enough to bring her into the living room for the winter! Think when I have the time I'll pull the plugs and rotate the engine a few times just to make sure on this 'hydro-lock' deal.

Looks like Bikebandit.com has the lower and the chrome accent (oh yeah and those pads inside the fairing) for roughly $500 US. Sound right??

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Man it must be going around. Sorry to hear about yours Kev

I had a top ride on Fri/Sat, over 1100kms, and got a new top speed 230.0kmh.... Rode through 140km of thunderstorm. All on at least 12 drinks and only 4hrs sleep and no problems doing any of it.

Monday, I start the bike, wheel her out of the garage and fail to put the side stand down properly and over she goes on the left side.

F#@k, sh&t and [email protected]!!! Oh well, smashed rear left indicator glass and a slight scratch on the skyking sliders. The sliders have just paid for themselves and saved another $2-300 in plastic I think.

The bike was idling and the cut came into effect after about 5 secs of running. Picked her up, put the side stand down properly and inspected the damage before starting her up. No damage other than that indicator, so I glued it back together for now.

Morale of the story. You can push yourself for a few days but then fatigue catches up with you. Monday I was a klutz all day at everything I did!

Bloody annoying though all the same. Hope you don't have too much damage on yours Kev.

Russ

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Kevykev,

Rotate the engine (no need to pull the plugs) by rotating the rear wheel. DO NOT test turn an engine with the starter. Don't ask me how I know this (but my screenname is a hint.)

Keep an eye on eBay for your plastic. Fairings appear regularly.

You may also consider welding it up yourself. LT Snyder had a good article in Motorcycle Consumer News, and I think we have a thread here somewhere on plastic repair.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
528 Posts
you might want try plastexI`ve had sucess with it gluing bits back together,you can even form missing tabs with it. Comes with a video cd on how to use it.
may save you some money

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2006-12-04 18:49, Beach wrote:
I'm guessing its been started by now.

Check if you handlebar has been bent by turning the bars full lock and measure the distance between the bar and the tank, compare it with the other side.

Beach,
You are correct about the bars but you have to be careful, I replaced the right bar after a fall as it was too close to the tank on full lock, only to find the new bar was the same.
The problem was that the fall had slightly damaged (dented) the full lock stop on the frame and triple clamp, allowing the front forks to rotate slightly further.
Amazing how approx 1mm at the stop can make such a difference in travel at the grips.
Cheers Gavin. :) :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts