Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If the bike is new to you, it might be interesting (if not all that useful) to see what's stuck to the sump plug screen.

For routine oil changes, you only need to drain and refill the oil tank and the primary case.

As you'll see in your manual, the gearbox has a separate reservoir of gear oil. The oil would last for years, but there could be water lying in it.
Sounds good. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I wasn't trying to be Ricardo Cabeza with my reply, Jesson. I'm a firm believer in teaching a man to fish.

If you plan to keep this bike and wrench on it yourself, you'll need the manuals, even if a lot of the chassis info does not apply. But how the engine and it's support systems function, will be the same or extremely similar (might have an upgraded, aftermarket ignition system). So, if you understand how the stock bike was intended to function, with an observant eye and having the gray matter switched on, you will be able to figure out a lot of things on your bike on your own. This will give you a better understand and put you in a much better position should you need to fix it when you are out on the highway, all alone.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wasn't trying to be Ricardo Cabeza with my reply, Jesson. I'm a firm believer in teaching a man to fish.

If you plan to keep this bike and wrench on it yourself, you'll need the manuals, even if a lot of the chassis info does not apply. But how the engine and it's support systems function, will be the same or extremely similar (might have an upgraded, aftermarket ignition system). So, if you understand how the stock bike was intended to function, with an observant eye and having the gray matter switched on, you will be able to figure out a lot of things on your bike on your own. This will give you a better understand and put you in a much better position should you need to fix it when you are out on the highway, all alone.

regards,
Rob
LOL. No worries, Rob. I do appreciate the help.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts