Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently began my first triumph restoration, picked up a '74 T120V on Craigslist And have had great luck using this forum/Haynes guide/lunmad vids for help but I'm absolutely stuck trying to get the clutch out.

The pressure plate, clutch plates and retaining nut all came out no problem but for the life of me I can't get the washer (behind the nut on the main shaft) off the shaft. The threads of the main shaft had red loctite (!) on them just in front of the washer, so I fear there is a big gob of it sticking the washer to the shaft.

I've tried everything I can think of, sprayed the crap out of it with wd40 and other penetrants, tapping both the edge of the washer and the whole inner clutch drum, heating with a propane torch, etc. and I still can't get the washer to break loose.

Can anyone help me with this problem? The only way forward I can think of is applying some serious heat with the propane torch until it expands enough to break loose, but I'm worried that much heat will damage the threads on the main shaft or other delicate components.

Also can anybody tell me why anyone would put red loctite there?? The bike hasn't been registered since '83 and only has 8500 miles on it so probably hasn't been ridden since then either, so I don't think I have any chance of tracking down whoever rebuilt the engine last 30+ years ago....

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
200-300°f is more than enough to expand the metal to release the washer. You should never be at a temp that could effect the threads on a shaft.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Spit boils at 212. Spilt will dance on hot steel @ 350-375f.

You might be better pulling with screws & no more heat.

Drill hole in washer & try sheet metal screw in hole. Pull with pliers. If still too tight drill & tap for machine screws. About 4-40 Thread. Go very easy as not mar shaft. Then use studs & nuts with a small flat bar of metal for a puller.

Don't even think about forcing or prying off with washer in place! Get washer off & use special tool puller only. Make sure threads for puller are good & clean & puller is fully screwed into hub.

For sure you'll heed hub rubbers. Grind swaging off the 3 bolts before removing them. You'll need new ones. 6 point bolts from hardware store cut to length, then peen end of new bolts.

You'll need a puller for crank sprocket too.

On assembly use blue loctite on both nuts as you think it should have been. Always us torque wrench on these nuts, don't guess!
Don

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Wonder if a few blows with a hammer, via a flat ended punch, on the face of the washer, would crack the Loctite.

Not huge blows with a huge hammer!

·
Premium Member
9,988 Posts
have you tried with the clutch removal tool?

it might just be a badly made part jammed in squint?

the removal tool is NOT a PULLER. you do it up so that it bites, plus a tiny bit, then a sharp tap with a hammer.
the idea ids that you apply pressure to the taper joint, and the shock jars the taper free. Not a huge hammer blow -

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
have you tried with the clutch removal tool?

it might just be a badly made part jammed in squint?

the removal tool is NOT a PULLER. you do it up so that it bites, plus a tiny bit, then a sharp tap with a hammer.
the idea ids that you apply pressure to the taper joint, and the shock jars the taper free. Not a huge hammer blow -
Long time since I looked into the clutch centre, but I think the washer may be in the way of the special tool.

·
Premium Member
9,988 Posts
Long time since I looked into the clutch centre, but I think the washer may be in the way of the special tool.

BUGGER!! but doesn't the nut go outside the washer?
so there is some thread?

Mr Pete used to also suggest shoving the pressure plate back on, do up the three/four nuts, refit the clutch pushrod and use the lever.

But this might be too tight?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Yes, pushing it out with the clutch operating mechanism might work. On the other hand, Loctite on the splines and a tight fit on the taper might stop it working. Worth a try.

As for the extractor, I'm not sure if enough of the outer, female thread in the clutch centre is showing, while that thick washer is there. I would try shocking/banging the washer a few times around its outer edge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts