Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driven to distraction and immobilised ! My trusty and previously very reliable 94 Steamer refuses to start.

Ignition lights switch on ok. Clutch in. Starter button has no effect whatsoever.

Neutral light goes on & off as it should.
Engine turns over when starter solenoid is shorted across (but does not fire).
A couple of times recently when I put the side stand up and dropped the clutch, the engine stalled, so I suspected the clutch switch.... Clutch switch completely dismantled and cleaned - seems in good nick - feathering the clutch in various positions does not enable start button.
Side stand switch well lubed. Makes no difference side stand up or down.
Then I turned bars from lock to lock whilst holding clutch in & pressing start button. Engine fired briefly, but now no amount of twisting on bars or twiddling wiring harness will repeat that momentary start.
Have tried tracing back wires from the switches around the steering head, and there are none frayed or obviously shorting. A couple of the multiplugs had slight surface corrosion - cleaned off with WD40 To no avail.

HELP !
Has anyone had similar symptoms to point me to the right area.
Still looks to me like a broken connection somewhere in the immobiliser circuit.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My old Trophy use to get the same problem. Turned out to be the sidestand switch. I'd take it off and check it with a multimeter. It may be corroded after sitting among water and salted roads all these years

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was not likely to be the issue, given that the engine briefly 'remobilised' when turning bars from side to side ?

The wire to side stand disappears into the bowels of the beast - I presume there is a multiplug there somewhere.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Found side stand plug - Haynes says 2 wires blue & brown.... mine has 3 - black, green & brown.

Side stand up = continuity twixt brown & black.
Side stand down = continuity twixt black & green.

Suggests to me side stand switch is working ?

Haynes mentions a relay on Sprint model ?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success !

Today I went to the bike - Lo & behold it started ! Began to tuck wires back in... it stopped. Traced r/h handlebar switch multiplug to a funnel shaped rubber shroud to right of headlight. Disconnected & servisol-ed all the connectors inside that shroud - reconnected - hey presto she runs !
Kept her running whilst I tidied up the wiring and replaced the bodywork without incident. Remarkable what a slightly dodgy connection can do.
Thanks to Lobout for trying to help.

·
Registered
854 Posts
It's nice when you figure it out and it's a cheap fix! Electrical gremlins are always a bugger. A mate of mine had a 900 Tiger (with severely messed about wiring) He ended up giving the bike away, as it would cut out without warning. Not good when you're trying to overtake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts