Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bonnie (stock 2010 T100) was running a bit rough today, so when I got home I took a careful look around. Here's what I found:

I'm not sure if this is the cause of my immediate problem, but it certainly looks like it need attention. I searched through the shop manual but could not identify what this thing is. I also could not see any likely reason as to how something had managed to pull on it, it's in a pretty well sheltered spot.

My guess is that it's a ground connection. Anybody know for sure?

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I had the exact same problem, but that shouldn't make the bike run roughly, should it?

In my case the oil pressure light came on after a ride in the rain.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the original problem is still up in the air...

I noticed two things - the first was that it sounded like the engine was pinging occasionally while riding, and the second was that, at idle, the exhaust note was more harsh and that the engine seemed to stumble, just a little, every couple of seconds. At first I though the 'pinging' sound might be a rattle from a loose exhaust baffle, which would explain the harsh note as well, but the slight stumbling at idle convinced me that it is likely an engine issue instead.

It feels fine when under way, no loss of power. Starts fine too.

The bike has run perfectly up until now, and I haven't done any wrenching on it recently, except to fiddle with the chain. It's stored garaged, I haven't washed it or ridden in the rain.

It ran fine two days before, the only thing besides a two day wait was that I filled the tank, per usual, at the end of the ride. I thought I might have a tank of bad gas so I topped it off with a gallon of premium when I could, but it had no effect. I suppose the remaining two gallons or so of bad gas is enough to allow the problem to continue, so draining and refilling with fresh stuff is the first intervention on my list.

I eyeballed the various wires and vacuum lines and nothing looks suspicious, except of course of the oil pressure sensor boot.

SO, I'll drain the tank and refill. If that fails, what's next?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts