Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave my SpeedMaster a bath Sunday and now she is running very rough and keeps stalling no matter if idling or being ridden with throttle open. I checked air box, plugs and put dry gas into tank incase the gas is bad or water got in. I am wondering shy of breaking carbs down and such if anyone has any ideas. I figure by now the any water that passed into carbs would be dryed out or burnt through yet still having issue and my dealer is of no help unless i bring infor pricey service. Motor will start and idle fine for a few minutes but as bike heats up the stalling starts. I am clueless at this point....any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
56 Posts
what do you mean "bath" Was it straight after a ride? Did you use a sponge, warm water and a gentle hose, or a pressure wash? You've looked at the mechanical bits, but there's a lot of electrics you could have annoyed with excess water, and electrical gremlins are difficult to find. Just putting more gas ( dry or otherwise) in the tank won't necessarily help, as the water & gas will separate. Take the tank off, tip it out, put half a litre in, swish around, tip it out again ( make sure you dispose of the fuel in an eco-friendly way, like into a baby seal, or kitten ). I'd also open up the hand controls, and make sure they're dry inside too. And check all your cutout switches on stand, clutch etc. to make sure they're not shorting out. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I changed out gas and the electrics are all good. Seems to be in the right side carb. I just do not get why it runs fine then at hot temp cuts out....it just boggs down and shuts off...but I can restart immediatly and she runs again for a bit before acting up. Think a plug could be fowling?

·
Registered
56 Posts
no, cos once a plugs fouled, it's fouled. It won't just clear itself like that. Having said that, putting new plugs in it is an easy & cheap way to definetley cross that off the list.
Maybe regulator / rectifier playing up? The wash could just be coincidental timing.

http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/20032008-Triumph-Speed-Master-800-865-Regulator-Rectifier.

If the reg/rec is not working right, it won't supply a steady stream of dc current for the bike to run on.

Or, it could be the cdi unit, the motorcycle equivalent of coils. If its playing up, it can work till it gets hot, then not generate power to get a consistent spark, making it run rough / stall. I think you're due for a visit to your bike mechanic, if you're lucky they can swap in a working part to determine whats playing up on yours.

thinking about it more, my guess ( and I emphasize guess ) is the cdi. I've had one go on a previous bike, and it was similar to what you describe.

http://www.triumphrat.net/cruisers-america-speedmaster/111848-speedmaster-cdi-problem.html

possible helpful thread.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
I've had this problem too. It also occurs if I get caught in the rain or drive on wet roads. I think it's the rectifier getting shorted out by the water, but I haven't figured it out for sure yet.

The rectifier is located under the bike between the tranny and the swing arm. It doesn't seem like a good location to me. I'm going to try relocating it and see if that makes a difference.

Try disconnecting it cleaning then reconnecting it with dielectric grease on the electrical contacts.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hey John,
I sincerely doubt its water in the gas or bad plugs.
If water were that easy to get into the fuel system, fuel would just as easily be leaking out and you would have noticed that before.
Washing can do two things;
1. Short something out (less likely).
2. Physically disturb a component or connection (more likely).
The exhaust could give you some good clues as the problem begins. Smell the exhaust as it begins cutting out.
If it smells lean its a fueling problem, if it smells rich and/or you get a little smoke as it dies its an ignition problem.
The plugs can tell you a lot as well.
A white plug indicates a lean condition and a black, sooty plug indicates rich. Pull the plugs right after it dies and inspect them, be sure to note which side is which.
A dirty or fouled plug will not prevent the bike from running but a cracked electrode could. Plugs are cheap enough if you want to replace them but I doubt thats the problem.
The first thing I would really be suspicious of is the igniter/coil or the spark plug wires where they go into it.
Unscrew the wires from the coil, dry and inspect them, snip a little of the insulation off the end if you think it needs it, then insert them firmly back into the coil and tighten the collars up good and snug by hand.
On the off chance that something is simply shorting out due to moisture, let the bike bake in the sun for a day (not today, heavy flash T-storm warning in our area, tomorrow will be sunny and clear). Surface temps would get up well over 100 and evaporate anything that got in.
Let us know how you make out.
Best of luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I changed plugs and they were both worn and the wrong type! Never listen to the past owner on scheduled work they did!! Bike ran strong for about 15 miles then after sitting for about 3 or so hours started acting up again. The right side carb seems to be struggling to run with much misfiring and low pressure from right side exhaust pipe. I am going to take to a dealer today and let them figure it out....past owner told me this is not a new problem....just did not tell me about it before i bought...maybe a carb rebuild or sync problem? I also learned that the valves have never been adjust since new....buyer beware!

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Check to see if there are any leaks around the carbs. Make sure all the rubber caps and intakes are properly fitted.

I'm sure we can figure this out.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Exactly what happens to my 2004 Thruxton if I wash the bike. After a wash, the right cylinder doesn't run or runs rough. After 5-10 minutes of farting, bogging down etc it suddenly runs fine. Somewhere, water gets in and causes a problem. I run flat slides carbs and no airbox. My R/R is located on the battery box ie not at the front of the bike under the headlight so this rules out the R/R.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Check the small wires connecting to the coil (right side) had these fill up with water...next check the rubber boot on the right side...it a small rubber piece that covers up the balance tube on the manifold in front of the carb...if this is cracked or missing you have a big vacuum leak...had one of those fall off....

·
Registered
39 Posts
I get hissing sounds for several miles after a big wash or if I get caught in the rain. The first time it happened, I thought I had a leak in the rear tire. After checking on it constantly and rolling the bike up and down the street, I determined it was water hidden in one of the nook and crannies simmering in the pipes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Local triumph dealer in Ledgewood NJ told me this is a frequent issue with 2003-2007 models. They are going to check it over and sync carbs and due valve adjustments. I stil think some water got into right carb but that was 135 miles ago.....will post what the dealer finds....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Water sits in the area around the spark plugs. It should drain away have the drain holes plugged,in which case the water boils.

I have been meaning to fill up the spark plug cap and coil connection with dielectric grease which should solve the coil issue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts