Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I bought a couple mismatched 125 mains to put in the bike today. Then I couldn't figure out what the difference was between my idle needle and the pilot jet.... but I think I've found the pilot jet now.

Something's gotta be wrong with one of those 125's I was sold earlier today. The bike ran like SH!T, needing the choke just to make it to the next offramp and limp back home. SOMETHING was wrong....

Yeah, I took the idle needle out when I was looking for the pilot jet (thinking it coulda been one in the same), and returned it to place, three turns out like the other one.
But jeeeez, something was really WRONG when I fired the bike up and went for a mile ride!

So now I've taken those bootsie-ass 125's out, and I'm sticking my 122's in, and pretty sure I've got the right 42 pilot jets,
--BUT--
I CAN'T SEEM TO UNSCREW THE FACTORY PILOT JETS!?!?!?!
Am I playing in the right hole? (begging yer pardon....?)
I mean, that pilot jet is up in a recessed hole next to the main jet, isn't it????

So I do the "lefty loosy" thing, think upside-down, grab the screwdriver with some pliers to persuade the screwdriver a bit, but I can't get it to budge?!!!

Granted, I would like a broader tip straight edge screwdriver with a T-type handle or something.... but this bad boy jet is IN THERE!

Does anybody have any advise, assurances, a broad, a Stoli Screwdriver, or nerve enough to tell me I'm in the wrong hole?

HELP! I wanna RIDE!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
They are in there pretty tight as I recall. I broke down some years ago and bought a Craftsman slotted screwdriver with a somewhat narrow tip and a full-sized handle. I then ground the sides of the tip until it would match the width of the screw-head of a jet. The maximum width tip and the full-sized handle do the trick. The tips of Craftsman screwdrivers are really sharp and well shaped, too. Those soft brass jets are a great deal less likely to strip with a sharp tip. Double check that you are in the right place (I look for the jet number with a flashlight and reading glasses), hold the carbs nice and tight, seat the screwdriver tip deep and square, and give it a proper twist...

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I used a mirror to make sure I was on the right location jet-wise. I used a 1/4" ratchet with an adapter and screwdriver blade to take the jets out--I do remember them being tighter than the main jets.

On the pilot adjustment screws--I haven't had mine out yet, but I believe there is an O-ring on them that can be lost if you are not looking for it. You might want to check and make sure both are the same. From your description, I can't see how the main jet could be your problem--my guess is the pilot circuitry. I doubt you were riding fast enough to have the throttles open enough to even be on the needles much less the main jets. Also, remember that if you remove the needle jet holder (the thing the main jet screws into) the needle jets (small brass sleeves) can fall out...this should cause a rich rather than lean condition and your description of having to have the choke out to limp back home sounds like a lean condition.

Good luck,
Larry

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Pat,
Larry is right about the idle mixture screws. As I recall there are three different components to be managed in a specific order. See my review of the BellaCorse Idle Mixture Thumbscrews to see a detailed discussion of this procedure.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was supposed to have been getting ready for a gathering/party/holiday cheer & beer, but noooooo...... I jus' hadda keep messing with the bike.

I put the 122.5's in, the float bowls back on, and went for a 35 mile ride. Bbrrrrrr, it's cccold out there at 70mph! Bike ran good, pretty snappy, but at 50 between on-throttle/off-throttle it's lean. I'll bet'ya that 42 pilot could add some fuel to the formula, but I'm going out to add a shim to the Thruxton needles. The party can wait.

What's that? Christmas cookies, cake, GROG?!?!! Maybe the SHIMS can wait.....
:-D

(You see, those two 125's I was sold earlier today differed. One looked brand new & shiny, the other dull & grundgy. One screwed into place effortlessly, the grundgy one needed to be persuaded. I found a burr on the underside of the grundgy one...... the local Honda shop said they'ed give me my money back.)

A little crescent with a screwdriver attachement..... I wonder if I have something like that I can rig from outa that Craftsman goodie kit I bought last year.?

THANKS GUYS!

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-12-16 21:39 ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts