Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I´m looking for some technical advice, here´s the problem.

I have a 2013 Thuxton, with a lot modifications, lights, suspension, BC airbox, AI removal, predators...

I was competing in a local race, and since that day my Thrux is having a problem that nobody (even the local Triumph dealer) can fix. When i´m in 2nd gear, the bike seems to cut the power for less than a sec. in 4000, 5000, and 7000 RPMs. It only happen in 2nd gear and when the throttle is full.

The Triumph technicians put the old filter box, but it doesn't worked.

Any ideas??

Please help!

Camilo.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't not have a clue.

Fuel or ignition? - to me it sounds more like ignition. Strange that it only happens in 2nd gear, maybe it is vibration induced.

Since it is of such a short duration and sounds like it comes right back again without any side effects I would start by looking at your ignition circuit.

Possible something is making and breaking cutting out your ignition.

I hardly ever fix anything on the first go-around, but I would pick one likely circuit at a time and go through it. I have solved a lot of problems in the past simply by taking things apart, cleaning connections, and re-attaching.

Hopefully someone smarter than me is thinking about this, I sure am curious.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Has the TPS (throttle position sensor) been checked? Would be the 1st thing I would check as it's only happening at full throttle, although it is strange that it only effects 2nd gear.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Did you remap with your mods?

It sounds like a corrupted MAP lookup table.

I would reload your map. And if you used a generic freeware map, I would strongly recommend you take a look at getting a TTP map.

If your dealer did the remap, have them reload it.

Just a guess...

Cheers,

RD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First of all, thanks for your answers.

@eicas: I checked the ignition, and the cables.. but it does´t work

@podalong: The TPS was checked. And the voltage is correct...

@xtypeinct: I´ve tried remapping with the original map, and the arrow map.. and nothing happens..

Any ideas? i´m going crazy with this.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Do you have a reputable dyno shop you trust?

I would go there, hook up TuneECU and try and replicate this on the dyno. Watching TuneEcu should give you an indication of what's happening when the power cut occurs.

Or if you have access to a data logger that you can use the next time you race, it will also show you what's going on when the cut occurs.

Cheers,

RD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ xtypeinct I didn´t find any dyno shop near, instead I have recorded a video to show the problem... And for my surprise is not a power lag.. is more like unstable revs. Pls take a look at the video and let me know if you have any ideas.

Thruxton REVS problem

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Check you battery connections, your ecu harness connections and your clutch free play. If its not electrical there is a distinct possibility that you need to go to Barnett green springs in your clutch as the stock clutch springs might be to weak. Its know to happen when you remove air boxs and add good exhaust to carbed bikes so there is no reason why it might not happen with FI bikes.

·
Registered
727 Posts
From my experience the original clutch springs 'slipped' at high revs in the higher gears, I can't recall slipping in first, maybe in 2nd, but reliably slipping in 3rd, 4th, 5th. Green springs installed, no more slipping.

Is it something to do with the rev limiter. This doesn't relate to 2nd gear though.

Thats my 2 cents worth.

Simmo

1 - 12 of 12 Posts