Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning..(australia here). Just wondering if there is s definitave source to refer to when we have to set the timimg on the new 865cc's.. I have done a few searches and come up with bits and peices, but no real luck. I need to set the timimg today coz next weekend i will be bolting her up and starting for the 1st time... (fingers crossed). BTW The bike is a 06 thruxton.

"thanks in advance"...(get it?)

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
It had performance cams in it. now thier back to standard.
well, I recommend the Triumph Service Manual or Haynes manual. If you're doing that kind of work you need the right tools, and the books are very important.

You have to get the motor at TDC. Pull the alternator cover and line up the timing mark on the rotor with where the cases split and with the cam idler gear also at TDC. Pull the spark plugs to do this, you'll see the tops of the pistons at TDC. I put a screwdriver down the sparkplug to watch the pistons rise/fall. The cam timing marks must line up with the idler gear timing marks.

some good pics and instructions on Dinqua's website, starting here:

http://www.dinqua.com/Triumph/BigBore/bb9.html

and why get rid of the performance cams? Who made the cams?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah goodluck with it Bensville, keep us posted, hope all goes well!
Yep will do. There's no turning back now. The shiny stuff is coming in the mail this week from the states, and the replacment bits the following week.... :D:D

By the way, I just got back from 'Performance bikes' as I ended dropping it off to get all that checking done. After reading the website info, i decided I woudl do all the parts removal (tank and stuff) and have them check clearances and timing. I can rest easy now. Thanks for the info though, I'm a little more educated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts