Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of thought and research I have an appointment at the Triumph dealer tomorrow morning to order a 2009 T100 having thought I found the perfect bike to get back to the sport after too many years away.

So what made me drop into the local Harley dealership this afternoon? I guess after owning many different rides the one I've always thought I wanted was a Harley... and now I see that the price on the 883 Custom sportster is just about the same as what I am going to pay for the Bonnie.

Please, anyone out there have some words of wisdom to keep me on the right and true path?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
After a lot of thought and research I have an appointment at the Triumph dealer tomorrow morning to order a 2009 T100 having thought I found the perfect bike to get back to the sport after too many years away.

So what made me drop into the local Harley dealership this afternoon? I guess after owning many different rides the one I've always thought I wanted was a Harley... and now I see that the price on the 883 Custom sportster is just about the same as what I am going to pay for the Bonnie.

Please, anyone out there have some words of wisdom to keep me on the right and true path?

Thanks
Psst......

Get the Sporty!!!!!!!! Then you can join us at the XL Forum. And do it now! (If I recruit one more person I get a toaster!!!)

All kidding aside. I have a Sportster and love it but I love all bikes and think the Bonnie is awesome as well. They are almost identical bikes with each having their own personality and that's how the Triumph vs HD rivalry started. Harley vs Triumph is as legendary as Yankees vs Red Sox. They are in an almost dead lock tie when it comes to performance. HD has it in the low end and Triumph has it in the top end.......for example.

Which ever bike you choose you will not be disappointed.

(get the Sporty)

:D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Get both...you only live once. :Devil3:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
I say get the Sporty....then we can have all kinds of fun. Like starting a lottery on how many parts will drop off each week with all that vibration..We can also make bets on how your kidneys hold up. Let me know I want to get the first bet in.:D

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Well if you have leanings towards a new Sportster or a new T100 why not buy a 2nd hand bike and get back upto speed if you are just returning to biking. Then buy the new Thunderbird when they arrive, that should suit both your tastes.

-------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Making the right choice is always a Triumph of wisdom.

How many Sportsters are out on the road? No, I'm not making the joke about a small percentage of them actually making it home. I'm saying that as a Sportster rider, you are one of a huge herd. As a T100 rider, you are a rare sight, something different, and therefore more interesting.

Blah, blah, blah. Here's the only question that really matters; which one really pushes your buttons? Which one pegs your excitement meter? Not sure? Flip a coin, and carefully note your instant reaction to the result. That will tell you which one you want deep down.

Get the Triumph!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Get the Triumph. Seriously.

I bought an 09 T100 about three months ago. Went for a great ride today out in the country (Thunder Road - lots n lots of curves :D) I have put on about 1,200 miles so far (all joy riding - I drive my truck for work). I don't know what color you are looking at, but the green/cream is B E A U T I F U L! People come up to get a closer look all the time. It is the kind of bike you will want to hang on to for the long haul. If I were ever to get a Harley, it would be because I wanted a much bigger bike. But then I would probably get a Rocket.

Get the Triumph. There are way too many Harleys out there. The Bonny IS the bike that defined modern day motorcycling. Period.

I need to wash my bike, but I will try and post a pic soon.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I say get the Sporty....then we can have all kinds of fun. Like starting a lottery on how many parts will drop off each week with all that vibration..We can also make bets on how your kidneys hold up. Let me know I want to get the first bet in.:D
At least the parts still work after locating and washing them!! :D

·
30,296 Posts
Get the T100. The 883 sporty is underpowered. The 1200 sporty basically matches the Bonnie performance, and the T100 looks a lot better.

Then you can come and post on the twins forums!

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-talk/

Whoops! Shameless recruiting to a sub forum!

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Sub forum recruiting is allowed, but you have to pay a fee to the moderators of the forum you're recruiting from. Small bills, and plenty of them, please! :D

·
30,296 Posts
Well, I have a bunch of bills from my electric, gas and garbage disposal companies, I'll send them on over.

Jeez Hide, you're quite a guy offering to help out with my finances this way! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,468 Posts
Sounds like I should formally define "small" as 1/100th of the cost of the cheapest chrome widget from the Harley XL accessories catalog.

See, now we're on topic again! :D

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
sporty choice

Before you choose the sportster, get a saw horse and a ladder, set the sawhorse up in front of the ladder, climb the ladder, jump down and land astride the sawhorse have a buddy jump up and down on your shoulders for half an hour and that's what it's like to ride a harley.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I'd been visiting our local Triumph shop for 8 months trying to figure out which was for me, a Sportster or the Bonnie. The HD shop had a used 'new Sportster' that I took out for a ride. The minute I pulled away from the curb I knew it sucked and just rode it around the block and back to the shop. Well, I didn't buy a Bonnie, either. I took out a Speed Triple and instantly knew that the search was over for me.
Now I know that there is always a faster bike somewhere, but when some old Bonnie kicks your Sportys butt, you'll feel awfully bad about your decision. Good Luck!:)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tbirdnz said:
why not buy a 2nd hand bike and get back upto speed if you are just returning to biking.
+1, and take the MSF course. Sporty or Bonnie it will greatly wound your wallet to drop a new one.

·
30,296 Posts
It wounds your wallet just as badly dropping a second hand one. Get the one you like, new or used to suit your own needs, wants and finances.

I like the coin toss / reaction idea.

No I don't. Buy the Bonneville.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Before you choose the sportster, get a saw horse and a ladder, set the sawhorse up in front of the ladder, climb the ladder, jump down and land astride the sawhorse have a buddy jump up and down on your shoulders for half an hour and that's what it's like to ride a harley.

Probably explains why parts fall off...........loose nuts !

--------------
Ride on ! :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts