Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Trying to install zrx shocks on the thrux. The metal collar inside the lower bushing is smaller on the zrx shocks than the stocks ones, supposed to swap them out but I can't get either of them out. Applied some wd40, let it sit a while, and tried pushing/hammering on a socket. Tried this on the metal collar and on the rubber bushing itself. Nothing. Not budging at all.

Is there a trick to this?
:confused:

ap.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
bushing

Before you get to carried away might be best to enquire from the supplier. If you sctch/damage the shocks you will end up with spare crap. With my IKONs i had to put in bushes to reduce the size. If the bush you need to fit has an inner and outer with rubber between, then a press is the best way. A good Vise will suffice with an appropriate socket and something the other end to allow the bush to slide out. Unfortunately the rubber is good at doing its job absorbing shock and movement so hammering can be futile.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a press is the best way. A good Vise will suffice with an appropriate socket and something the other end to allow the bush to slide out. Unfortunately the rubber is good at doing its job absorbing shock and movement so hammering can be futile.
yeah, hammering was a waste of time. but thank you for the suggestion Askari, it worked like a charm...

i got a large C-clamp, small socket the size of bushing, large socket bigger than the bushing but smaller than the body of the shock. sandwiched the small socket, bushing, and large socket. couple turns of the C-clamp and out she came.

ap.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Good

glad it worked pain in the butt that the most simple things give the biggest challenge. Glad i didnt tell you the easy method. Get the oxy burn all the rubber out then you can hammer the outer bush out, works well on a truck!:eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts