Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

As is so often the case, a seemingly simple job has turned into a nightmare...

I had to replace the gasket around the clutch lifter arm - it started leaking oil profusely the other day - so I did the following:

1. removed shifter lever
2. disconnected the clutch cable at the lifter arm
3. removed all the bolts from the clutch cover and removed the cover
4. removed the clutch lifter arm, replaced the faulty gasket at the top of the lifter arm port and refit the lifter arm (which also required removing the inner panel on the back of the clutch cover to access the clutch lifter arm spring to refit it into place).
5. reset the clutch lifter arm spring onto the lifter arm, then reset the bullet in the lifter arm notch
6. removed the old clutch cover gasket and replaced it with a fresh one
7. reinstalled clutch cover and bolted it back on
8. reconnected the clutch cable to the lifter arm
9. reinstalled the shifter lever

Now, after going through that process, the bike won't turn over. When I turn on the power and press the start button, it just clicks once, or sometimes it clicks a few times, and then nothing. The starter motor doesn't seem to be engaging at all now and zero turnover.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what I could have done wrong? The bike was running perfectly before I opened up the case to replace the faulty gasket.

Thanks for any insight/ideas you can share!!!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
mmm

Will the bike tirn over? put it in gear and rotate the rear wheel?
Check connections to the starter and the solenoid.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies...

the battery is fully charged and i did rotate the wheels, both on and off the lift, both in neutral and in gear, still no ignition. It doesn't turn over at all - it just clicks...

I wonder if it's possible that the starter gears somehow moved out of place when I had the cover off... but, really, I am stumped.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I wonder if it's possible that the starter gears somehow moved out of place when I had the cover off... but, really, I am stumped.
I think that's what the trouble is, the starter gears have moved out of place. Did you notice the wavy washer?, well the shaft where it fits can slip out and put the gear out of alignment.

Two threads with a similar problem:

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/198186-thruxton-wont-start-electrical.html

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/197552-2007-thruxton-transmission-question.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Forchetto - as usual you seem to have your finger on the pulse of the problem. I did notice the wavy washer and also thought the gears seemed too close to the wall of the casing, but I'm still pretty inexperienced so I don't yet just "know" these things. I'll have a look at the threads you referenced and, hopefully, I can get it started again tomorrow.

I'll let you all know how it turns out...

thanks again, everyone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Askari, Forchetto,

you guys were right on the money. the thread you sent, forchetto, was exactly what i needed. i re-drained the oil, opened up the case, rotated the gears via back wheel while in 4th gear and the starter gears fell right back into place. After a few wiggles and jiggles of the back wheel to get the starter gear shaft in just the right position to align with the case cover, the cover snapped right on as well.

after lubing it up again, it started right up - even better than before this whole ordeal started.

thanks again to everyone who helped! couldn't have done it without you!!

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts