Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have run into several problems while trying to install the front mudguard on my 1996 Adventurer. First, I need to know which end of the mudguard faces towards the front of the motorcycle? There is a lip on one end (where the tip of the mud guard is folded over), but the other end of the mudguard has no lip.

Second, I am fairly certain that the mud guard attachment bolts are not the ones that originally came with the motorcycle. Even when screwed all the way in, the heads of the bolts rub lightly against the sidewalls of the tire. What do the correct bolts look like? Got a pic?

Third, the mud guard has little clearance above the top of the front tire which is about half way worn down. I am thinking that a new tire would rub against the underside of the mud guard. Is this normal?

In any case, replacing the front mud guard is a pain seeing as how the entire front wheel and brake assembly has to be removed to do it.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
The lip is at the front. Just make sure you have the right mudguard for the Adventurer, does it have any part number on the package ?

I've got a TB which has an 18" wheel but I don't think there is much difference to the mudguard and you certainly don't have to take off the wheel or brakes to remove or install it. Only the brake hose guide is attached to the mudguard.

There should be about 1.5" clearance between the tyre and mudguard.

----------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
My '96 Adventurer has an 18" front wheel. The correct tire size is 110/80-18. I have a 110/90-18 on there right now and there is very little room between the tire and the fender (maybe 1/4"). There is certainly not an 1 1/2".
The bolts holding my fender on are standard 6 or 8mm hex head bolts. The clearance is tight if you are trying to get them started with the wheel/tire in place, but I was able to do it.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
that sounds to me like you may have the wrong size (too wide) tire on there!

As stated things should be close but certainly not rubbing.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
I must admit I have never had mine off, just looking at it it appears you just have to undo the two side bolts and the brake guide, lift it to clear the brackets, tilt it and it should come away. It seems I'm wrong.

--------------

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lip is at the front. Just make sure you have the right mudguard for the Adventurer, does it have any part number on the package ?

I've got a TB which has an 18" wheel but I don't think there is much difference to the mudguard and you certainly don't have to take off the wheel or brakes to remove or install it. Only the brake hose guide is attached to the mudguard.

There should be about 1.5" clearance between the tyre and mudguard.
----------------
I'm pretty sure I received the correct part but I'll check the part number to be sure. Either way, it's a mighty tight fit and there's certainly no way 1.5 inch clearance can be right. I'll doublecheck the tire size as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My '96 Adventurer has an 18" front wheel. The correct tire size is 110/80-18. I have a 110/90-18 on there right now and there is very little room between the tire and the fender (maybe 1/4"). There is certainly not an 1 1/2".
The bolts holding my fender on are standard 6 or 8mm hex head bolts. The clearance is tight if you are trying to get them started with the wheel/tire in place, but I was able to do it.

Son of a gun! I'm glad you mentioned tire size and you hit the nail on the head. I just went out to check it. My Adventurer has a 120/90-18 on the front wheel so the oversize is the problem. The tire is way too wide and tall. Boy, the former owner of this motorcycle just messed with everything. I'll be changing out that tire and thanks to all of you for your help.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
good catch!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good catch!
I just can't imagine that oversize tire being safe to ride on. The oversize width is what concerns me mainly--being to wide for the wheel. I am guessing that the stock tire is really quite skinny and I bet low-speed handling will be quicker with the standard size tire. I also bet that a skinnier tire, even though it's OEM size, will not handle as well on rain grooves on the highway. What do you all think of the standard tire size as far as handling is concerned?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
the difference between those tires is not huge - the wider tire woulds steer a little slower. Some people prefer that - I have seen some leave the front mudguard off and fit a larger tire.

What would be more concern would be those bolts touching the tire and also the potential of the tire rubbing on the mudguard as it warmed up. I have seen that happen on a harley - the mudguard was fitted too close ot the tire and as the tire heated and expanded it started rubbing on the mudguard - burned all the paint off in a stripe down the top of the mudguard!

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI. i also have a 96 adventurer with a smaller front wheel.
i did not like the way it handled and even had some wobley and scary issues on interstate over 70mph.changing windshieds helped
quite a bit but i still didnt like it.so i borrowed the front wheel off a friends newer adventurer 19'' wheel and a lot larger tire.allmost no
fender clearance but it sure handled nice.
I have my own larger front wheel now.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
HI. i also have a 96 adventurer with a smaller front wheel.
i did not like the way it handled and even had some wobley and scary issues on interstate over 70mph.changing windshieds helped
quite a bit but i still didnt like it.so i borrowed the front wheel off a friends newer adventurer 19'' wheel and a lot larger tire.allmost no
fender clearance but it sure handled nice.
I have my own larger front wheel now.
Hmm - interesting. It does affect steering geometry to have the smaller tire diameter on front. I imagine if you had raised the triple trees or lowered the rear of your bike, it would have had a similar effect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts