Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Could someone from over the pond help me please.

I fitted a new set of Vance & Hines pipes to my Thunderbird last week.

Vance website says baffle inserts are available for these pipes, my UK supplier & other suppliers said they are available but cannot get them for me, the insert are only available direct from Vance & Hines?

I have emailed Vance & Hines almost a dozen times the past four weeks, my wife used the live chat & was connected for over an hour with no response to her question, I tried calling twice, being left on hold for over ten minuets at great expense from the UK, used two different email accounts in case of technical issues.

Does anybody have any idea how I can get a response from these guys or where I may purchase the baffles.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply papasmurf.
I did ask a supplier selling that baffle on eBay, apparently it won't fit, needs to be specific to my exhausts ( exhaust 20065 ) & can only be ordered direct from manufacturer. I purchased the exhaust from hogparts uk, the only help from them involved telling me I have to order direct? strange considering their a uk outlet for Vance & Hines.

I wanted the baffles for long trips when the wife is on board, if I'd of known how difficult it would be to get the baffles I would of purchased another brand.

I'm very surprised by the customer service of such a we'll know manufacturer.

Thanks again

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've had a look on the sites over here in Oz.. There's quite a few v&h multifit baffles all dependent on bore and whether it's slash or not..
Mcas had a few to choose from..
https://www.mcas.com.au/shop/category/custom-exhaust-baffles-heatwraps-packing?search_custom_category=310408&page=1&sort_by=-new_until-&per_page=30&search_custom_attributes=21115

Also have you tried the V&H sites live chat..? It's only open between certain times but would save on your phone bills if nothing else.. See attached pic..

Sent using Tapatalk

Lead us not into temptation. I can find my way perfectly well by myself..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Emptymelon

Thanks for the link, i'll see if those guys can help. If all fails i'll have to have some custom inserts made.

We did try live chat several times, it seems to be off line a lot even during California open hours, We managed to log on two days ago, waiting over an hour for a response to our question, sadly nothing so left another email.

I love their exhausts but I don't think ill be recommending them to others, customer care is awful.

I love your signature, cracking lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love their exhausts but I don't think ill be recommending them to others, customer care is awful.
Yeh, personally I think if you buy an exhaust system, it should come with a baffle included, so you can make the choice for yourself. You pay a lot for a product and it should come complete.
I just fitted the V&H 2:1 system on my SS which did come with a baffle. I know I'd have been gutted if I'd had to buy the baffle seperately as it's way to loud without for my liking.

Sent using Tapatalk

Lead us not into temptation. I can find my way perfectly well by myself..

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
The Vance and Hines I purchased and installed on my Thunderbird Commander came with a baffle installed.
Here's a link. As you'll see in the picture the tips look like two pieces, that smaller piece is a long baffle.
Does your V & H have a screw on the bottom side near the tip of the exhaust?

Now to clarify V & H sells a secondary baffle for these pipes they refer to as a " Quite baffle" That is an optional smaller piece that goes inside the long baffle I mentioned.

I felt the V & H were a bit louder than I wanted, instead of purchasing the additional quite baffle I pulled the long baffle out, wrapped it with some glass pack baffle material. Secured it with some wire, not too tight or it will create a straight pipe effect. I'm very please.

Hopefully I did not misunderstand your inquiry and confuse the situation further.

https://products.vanceandhines.com/store/triumph/20065/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Hornet

Thank you for your input, that makes perfect sense. Ill check when i'm home, I believe there is a screw on the underside, near the tip of the exhaust, also another hole that I assume is the fitting for the extra quiet baffle.

I didn't realise the inner baffle could be removed, no mention of this anywhere.

I've been trying to obtain the extra baffle for weeks, all I asked (very politely I may add) of Vance & Hines was the part number & could they supply me one, unfortunately for one reason or another they chose not to reply to any three different forms of communication, live chat, email & telephone.

I'll never purchase another product from them, the products are in no doubt brilliant, but if you happen to need aftermarket care, forget it.

I will investigate your suggested method off quietening my exhaust, sounds a brilliant idea. I did read somewhere on a forum a coupe of weeks ago about this method, would that of been yourself?

Appreciate your help, thank you

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hi Hornet

Thank you for your input, that makes perfect sense. Ill check when i'm home, I believe there is a screw on the underside, near the tip of the exhaust, also another hole that I assume is the fitting for the extra quiet baffle.

I didn't realise the inner baffle could be removed, no mention of this anywhere.

I've been trying to obtain the extra baffle for weeks, all I asked (very politely I may add) of Vance & Hines was the part number & could they supply me one, unfortunately for one reason or another they chose not to reply to any three different forms of communication, live chat, email & telephone.

I'll never purchase another product from them, the products are in no doubt brilliant, but if you happen to need aftermarket care, forget it.

I will investigate your suggested method off quietening my exhaust, sounds a brilliant idea. I did read somewhere on a forum a coupe of weeks ago about this method, would that of been yourself?

Appreciate your help, thank you
It was probably my write on another forum. Here's a tip, the internal baffles seem to get surface rust easily and may be hard to remove. You can use a rubber hammer to slightly tap the baffle in towards the motor to break it loose. Make a hook from heavy gauge wire about 24" long. With the bike in gear sit on the ground, place your foot against the rear tire, hook the baffle with the wire and pull hard! Don't give up it will come out with a bit of sweating and cursing. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes there is some light rusty dust powder around the tip being blown out of exhaust. There are two screws under the tip of each exhaust, holding the large inner baffles I guess, then two unused holes at top of inner Slash. I'll give your suggestion a go, sounds the easiest & cheapest option.

I tried my uk supplier, "Hog parts" couldn't even give me a part number?

Thanks buddy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Hornet, you found the correct part.

Been in touch with J&P, very impressed to their speedy reply. They did initially give me the wrong part number but we got there in the end. I will be ordering these.

The wife can stop complaining about the noise on long journeys🙉

Shame I'm not traveling to the states this year, save myself import duties 😁, I'm just happy to find what I was looking for.

I owe you a beer sir, thank you👍

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thank you Hornet, you found the correct part.

Been in touch with J&P, very impressed to their speedy reply. They did initially give me the wrong part number but we got there in the end. I will be ordering these.

The wife can stop complaining about the noise on long journeys🙉

Shame I'm not traveling to the states this year, save myself import duties 😁, I'm just happy to find what I was looking for.

I owe you a beer sir, thank you👍
Glad I could help Dez, let us know how they work out for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The story continues, I stumbled on an Indian motorcycle retailer in the UK advertising Vance exhausts, I asked if they had the baffles I needed for the twin slash, the chap was extremely helpful & kindly contact his supplier (Vance & Hines I assume) as it turns out we were given another different part number "21892".

I've decided to follow the advice of pulling my current baffles out & gently wrapping with glass fibre, just waiting for filling to arrive, will keep you posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts