Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to admit to being a total fair weather biker first !
Parked up my 05 Speed Triple last July................. and didn't manage to get near it again until yesterday.
It has about 8,000 miles on it, parked in a very dry garage and covered with dust sheets.

Anyway, I really need to use the bike now so went to start it yesterday. Obviously the battery was flat (and I expect to have to buy a new one), so I connected it via jump leads to the car's battery.
Switched on the ignition, all seemed ok, and hit the starter button.
The starter engages, turns the engine over for a couple of seconds then the starter seems to disengage and stop. Still got thumb on starter button at this point. A few seconds later the starter engages again for a couple of seconds.
The engine didn't fire at all. No smell of petrol at the exhausts either.
I can here the fuel pump run up when I switch the ignition on, and there is a full tank of petrol.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
1050 wont start

Did you disconect the bikes battery or just put the jumper leads straight over the top of the bikes flat battery?If the battery has failed it could be dead shorted and sucking the life out of the jump battery.Also feel if the jumper leads are getting hot where the cables attach to the clamps (they may not be good enough quality).

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your battery doesn't have 12 volts it won't start. I had the same problem. The engine turned all day but no go, then I fouled the plugs. I suggest checking the voltage.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Ok, this is simple. If your bike is cranking for a short time and cutting out, it's just not getting enough juice. If it cranks forever and won't start, that's a whole different set of possibilities.

So... start here: is the car running? I'm going to guess "no". If it is, it will have more than enough (too much, really) juice to fire your trumpet. It is not a good idea to jump a bike or similar smaller electrical system with a cage... but it can be done.

If the car is running, give it a bit before you hit the starter. Once it fires up, of course you want to take it for a nice long run before shutting her down. Then, the next day, you'll see if your old battery is holding the charge.

This will at least let you know if the problem is with the battery. If it fires up and runs, but won't run tomorrow, you clearly need a new battery. Pony up, get one and put a nice slow charge on it. If it wont start even with the overabundance of power, start over.

Let us know... it really sounds like you just need a new battery

1 - 6 of 6 Posts