Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so my wiring on my bike, well lets just say it was poorley done. So i rewired the whole bike. Went to start it up and nothing. Humm So i pulled the plug no spark. But here is the funny part, when i turn the key from on to off it sparks great. I dont get that at all???:confused: Anyone ever had this issue? The bike is a t140v with a Boyer electronic ignition. Please Help!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The following is for the standard Lucas RITA ignition system but I understand the same applies of the Boyer system. A nice fat spark at switch off is what you should expect and indicates a healthy amplifier. Possible cause is the pickup which senses the firing point when the engine turns over.

Take both spark plugs out and with the still connected to the leads lay them on the cylinder head and turn over engine on the kick start with ignition on. You should get good sparks on both plugs. If no spark, then pick up likely culprit.

To test pickup, disconnect sensor from wiring harness (white/orange and white/purple). Check resistance/continuity of the sensor between the two leads. Reading should be between 1100 and 1200 ohms.

If good and still no spark, check wiring from sensor to amplifier.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok tried that. No spark when i take both out, but still spark when i turn the key off. So where is this pick up? I did not install the system i just did the wiring better. Is it under the cover where the points used to be?

·
Registered
372 Posts
may add something

I hope you will let me add something Paul and not take offence.

Boyer has a whole trouble shooting guide but describes Jrod's scenario to a Tee:
"SPARKS ON SWITCHING ON & OFF but not on cranking. Disconnect the wires from the ignition box that go to the stator plate.
With the ignition on, touch these two wires together, making and breaking should produce a spark at the spark plugs. If sparks are
present then the ignition box is most likely to be in good order, if none are present the box is faulty. The only units that will not
trigger in this way are the racing crank triggered Digital and Norton rotary units. Check that the rotor magnets are running within
the two metal pole pieces. On British machines, if necessary the rotor can be moved out slightly by placing a thin metal shim around
the taper. The ignition will not fire if turned by hand at less than 200 RPM."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts