Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... so I was riding my 1970 Tiger 650 up into hills near my house. Soon the engine started pinging pretty hard... then I noticed some oil drips down on the engine so i stopped. The left side... if your sitting on it was smoking pretty badly. I let it cool for a few minutes then hopped on and headed home... mostly downhill. When I got home all was ok... still a little smoke. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
thoughts?

bearing in mind that as i get older it's becoming more apparent that i need a brain cell rebuild kit:

sounds like one side is getting hot?

i'd check two things right off the bat, ignition timing and cylinder compression. stick yer finger in the pipes and see if theres any oiley goob there as well. also check the valve clearances. usually valve probs will make the motor miss and pop even at idle.

i had a similiar situation once when the ring in one of my cylinders broke. it worked it's way to the top of the piston and hammered the poop out of the head.

a really burnt valve will do that as well. squirting oil in the cylinder will usually bring the compression up if it's rings going but won't affect a really burnt valve.

a really lean or partially blocked mainjet will ping like crazy and if undetected will burn the top out of your piston. the plugs should have a weird greyish deposit if so.

pretty sure the rest of the gang can come up with more horror stories.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
It's tiger I know, but single or twin carbies?

If you have a twin conversion, which tap were you running and how are your carbie gauze filters, carb tune balance and cross over hose?

The left cylinder always seens to run leaner than the right anyway, every triumph twin I've owned or tuned, the left pipe is always the bluest and the leanest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the tips... It's a single carb. I will take a look at the plugs and run my fingers into the pipes and see what I find. It is a left side only deal so that sort of narrows it down :eek:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts