Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, new to Triumphs and gang tackled a bunch of stuff. Ended up with a ton of parts and now need to weed it out. Trying to build one bike and can't decide what to do. Have a 73 OIF roller and all this stuff. Going the keep one and sell the rest to fund the project. Problem is I don't know way I have or what it's worth.
I know, great problem to have. But now Barber is coming up and it will be my first time. I would like to at least have some base for trading. I would look over the for sale exchange but have not been cleared yet.
I could only have 10 pics in the thread but have over 20 pics...

What's this stuff value?

Link to the album:

http://s1280.photobucket.com/albums/a495/ssminnow192/

BTW, what is a westlake barrel and piston set?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
#6 should have a 5-speed gearbox.It would have a 30mm timing-side main bearing.The rotor shaft will be longer than earlier engines,so the primary case is deeper to fit.If it's a T140 or TR7,the conrods will be different length to 650 engines and have bigger gudgeon pins.
#1 may or may not have 5-speed.It would have 1-1/8" timing-side mainshaft,like the other earlier engines.
Heavy duty conrods were fitted to 650 engines from eng. no. DU 47006,so I wouldn't use the rods from the 2 early T120R engines (#10 and #11).They will also have light flywheels,which you may not like.They won't have nitrided camshafts either.Nitriding commenced at eng. no. DU 87105.

This might help :http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/189087-how-do-i-build-a-bullet-proof-t140v.html Most of that will still apply to a T120 engine,except the flywheel bolts are 3/8" x 26 tpi BSC up to late '72.Most other engine bolts on a 650 became UNF/UNC by '69 except head bolt threads.

I'd pull out the crankshafts,and if any pass crack-test,I would NITRIDE a good one and preferably one that's not re-ground.

Rickman/Weslake/Nourish 8-valve heads and barrels will give you more cubes and more power too,but aren't cheap.Most of the cylinder heads and rocker boxes shown won't fit the OIF frame.The ones you want have locating roll-pins between head and rockers,and head-steady studs on the rocker box.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
Do any of the T120 engines match your frame?

That's quite a haul! before you sell stuff, cleaning it would improve your chances of a higher price. Not drastic, but maybe Gunk off the worst encrustations.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
If you`re going to base it on a `73, get the spares book.
There isn`t one for the 650`s, so you have to juggle between the `72 650 and the `73 750.
The obvious engine difference is the number of head/barrel bolts, 9 for the 650 and 10 for the 750.
Also you need to decide on a Bonnie (twin carbs) or a Tiger (single carb).
These `V` models have a 5-speed box.
`73`s have a front disc brake and a triplex primary, push-in pipes and the long, finned rocker covers. (4 screws...later 6 screws).
Depending on when it was made, it may have the leaf-spring G/B camplate selector or (preferably) the plunger.
The 650 V`s are basically 750`s apart from the engine.

·
Registered
35 Posts
...Barber is coming up and it will be my first time.
likemopar,
I assume you are referring to the "Vintage Festival" on the Barber Motorsports calendar. Do they have a swap meet as part of the weekend?

-- Jim

·
Super Moderator
12,593 Posts
I assume you are referring to the "Vintage Festival" on the Barber Motorsports calendar. Do they have a swap meet as part of the weekend?
Yep, it's approaching the same size as what Mid-O has shrunk to over the last few years since the AMA/AHRMA split, and is sure to eclipse it with all the racing PLUS the museum, various bike shows, and auction...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses!

I am thick sometimes. Love the adventure of being new but the lack of knowledge is tough. Must have been too excited on the parts lot. Motor #2 matches the OIF and is a 71 per serial number check.
Yes, I am talking about the Barber Festival next week. Like to pick up what I need and fund the purchases with the rest of the parts. Anything super valuable in the bunch? Maybe sell the whole lot and just by a done bike. Looking at both directions.
Thinking I might have bitten off more than I can crew...LOL. What's the value of the whole lot of parts? Enough to get a complete bike?

Here's the rest of what I have:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts