Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...2010 America, SAI removed, 02 Sensors removed,snorkel removed and bafflectomy(2 Baffles).LCD ODO...NO SPEEDO CABLE!

I have posted a couple of times about this noise and thought I had it figured out. The first was when I did the AI removal and forgot to plug the hole in the airbox. Plugged it, but the noise was still there.
I thought it was the clutch making the noise, still don't know about that one.

The noise is a high pitch chirping that coincides with the engine rpm and pulse. It does not occur in the lower gears. It does happen in the higher gears at low RPM. For example: through 1st and 2nd no noise at any RPM, 3rd through 5th noise from 2,000 RPM and up.

No noise if I pull in the clutch and coast. No noise revving up the engine in the driveway. No noise during deceleration.

THis is aggravating the heck out of me. Going across a bridge or through a tunnel it echos off the concrete surfaces, as well as when passing a car.

Any ideas? Once again it is NOT a speedo cable as there is no cable on my bike.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise is a high pitch chirping that coincides with the engine rpm and pulse. It does not occur in the lower gears. It does happen in the higher gears at low RPM. For example: through 1st and 2nd no noise at any RPM, 3rd through 5th noise from 2,000 RPM and up.

No noise if I pull in the clutch and coast. No noise revving up the engine in the driveway. No noise during deceleration

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi

I have been told that there is a system who takes some of the hot exhaust and lead it into the motor again, you can see part of the system where your footrest are. The system should have 2 valves who control the hot return exhaust to the motor and it is this to valves who make the noise.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you are talking about the Air Injection system, I have completely removed the solenoid,pump, and all plumbing associated with it. It has then been disabled in TuneEcu.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you only did a partial bafflectomy, you may still have enough back-pressure to cause a leak at the header joint.
Pull the muffs, apply some clear silicon then re-clamp.
The chirping could be exhaust gasses squeaking through a bad seal.

My two cents...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, partial bafflectomy. Just removed the first and second baffles. The sound is great too.

I did the bafflectomy with the pipes still on the bike. I guess it is possible that I wiggled one muffler slightly loose. Would there be some black soot at the joint if it is leaking?

I will check it out. It just seems as though I would be able to recreate the noise revving the engine in the driveway if it was an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
...Would there be some black soot at the joint if it is leaking?

I will check it out. It just seems as though I would be able to recreate the noise revving the engine in the driveway if it was an exhaust leak.
Point # 1, eventually, yes.

I agree with you on point # 2.

If the muffler/header slipjoint is leaking then all it takes to cure it is a thin smear of Hi-temp silicone seal on the header side of the slip joint, & wipe away the excess after the clamps are tightened.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yep, partial bafflectomy. Just removed the first and second baffles. The sound is great too.

I did the bafflectomy with the pipes still on the bike. I guess it is possible that I wiggled one muffler slightly loose. Would there be some black soot at the joint if it is leaking?
Yes, perhaps, but keep in mind things can be very different under load.
You have a problem that exists under load and within a certain rpm range, thinking about that can help you narrow things down.
An exhaust leak is still possible because gasses flow differently under different loads, tempuratures and mixtures. You may also want to check the ballance tube between headers.

Now heres a real mindblower (pun intended), by removing the centers of some of the baffles, you may have created a flute or whistle type effect as where when the gasses pass over the remaining edges at a certain pressure and speed they create a "toot" or "chirp" just as air passes through a wind instrument in a specific manner to create sound.
The only way to test this is to alter the flow by removing more material or swap out with different mufflers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you are correct. The noise only shows up under load and at a certain rpm range. Today I removed the mufflers and resealed them and pulled the tank and checked every vacuum line I could find. The noise is still there.

I had done a single bafflectomy. When the noise started I started looking for where it was coming from, thinking that it is possible that I caused it by doing the bafflectomy, I went ahead and did the second baffle. It is still the same noise. Didn't change it at all.

I am about to just put on my full face so I can't hear it and just ride.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it is something in your transmission. clutch out in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears you got it. clutch in/neutral/revving no noise. Under load and pulling in 1st and 2nd gears no noise. Under load and 3rd, 4th, 5th you got noise. I think it just happened to be a coincidence that it started after you performed the bafflectomy. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What in the transmission could make a noise like that?

With the mods I have done I don't know if I still have a warranty. Bike only has 1400 miles on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The output shaft's bearing could be bad.
Or the output shaft has too much endplay because they forgot a shim.
remove the front sprocket cover and have a look see...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes, you are correct. The noise only shows up under load and at a certain rpm range. Today I removed the mufflers and resealed them and pulled the tank and checked every vacuum line I could find. The noise is still there.

I had done a single bafflectomy. When the noise started I started looking for where it was coming from, thinking that it is possible that I caused it by doing the bafflectomy, I went ahead and did the second baffle. It is still the same noise. Didn't change it at all.

I am about to just put on my full face so I can't hear it and just ride.
Did you check the crossover pipe joint? Mine didn't have any sealing in there. 2010 America.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi if the problem isnt associated with what you have done ie pipes ai removal and is the gear box triumph will fix it i asked the question when i was going to remove ai will it stop warentee their reply was if what you did didnt cause the problem they will cover it good luck Craig

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just a thought, could the chain be the culprit, due to wheel being misaligned causing the chain to chirp at speed and under load ?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, interesting about the chain, never thought about that.

I just went and put the bike up on the lift to look at the chain and sprocket.

When I spin the tire the sprocket has a section where it is not perfectly straight . It wobbles by about 1/4 inch like the sprocket is bent. Is this enough to cause trouble?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very well could be, take the chain guard and front sprocket cover off then use a straight
edge to verify.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts