Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First start up after a winter full of mods and maintenance running for about a minute I have nothing returning to the tank.

Here's what I did prior to starting:

1. cleaned oil pump which appears to be working properly. Spring length good, new balls. Primed

2. dropped all engine oil including the sump screen being very careful not to get crap in the scavenge tube/entire sump.

3. changed oil filter (Norton type) and primed with oil.

Pulled the oil pump and I have clean oil coming out of the feed port from the engine to the feed side of the oil pump.

I'm used to it taking a few moments to get oil returning after oil changes but this felt a little long. I never pull the sump plug on regular changes. would it take somewhat longer since the sump was dry to begin with?

How long can I run safely waiting on the oil to return to the tank?

TIA,

TD

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Pull out the timing plug at the rear of the cylinder; it's in the crankcase below the rear pushrod tube (5/8" head on the bolt, I believe). Pour some oil in through the hole, maybe 100cc or so, put the plug back in and kick it over with the key off for a dozen or so times, then start it and check the return flow. With any luck, all you needed to do was prime the return side. If it's pumping oil into the engine, all that was not getting oil was the valve gear and that will be taken care of if it starts to return. If, for some reason, you can't get the plug out, take off a valve cap and pour it in through there. Remeber, it'll take a bit of time for the engine oil to build up in the sump if you don't add some to begin with.

The "village idiot" finds it easier to do it through the timing plug hole.....hope that's all it needs: Jim

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The lines are plumbed right checked 3-4 times and was real careful not to get them mixed up when I removed them. I think the problem was not priming the sump. Put in 1/4 pint /125cc and am in process of buttoning it all up now. Thanks guys. BTW bike started 1st kick after a long winters slumber. Will report back.

TD

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I'm an idiot. Primed the sump with 1/4 pint and had oil returning in about 10 seconds. I never drain the sump so I didn't think to replenish the oil there. I really do know better.

Thanks Gents,

TD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.