Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting to the bottom of the box of inherited bits and would like some help in identifying 2 items - a sidestand and a rear axle

the sidestand looks similar to the 1967 650 item, but i was wondering if the same part is used from 64-67
its about 8" from the centre of the mounting hole to the middle of the foot
the bolt has a 7/16 smooth shoulder and 3/8 unf thread (i think)
it has a casting number on it - F3721

the axle is 5/8 dia with a 5/8 unf thread, but its 11 1/2" long - quite a bit longer than my 76 T140

thanks as usual
rory

·
6,489 Posts
Hi Rory,

axle is 5/8 dia with a 5/8 unf thread, but its 11 1/2" long - quite a bit longer than my 76 T140
T160.

sidestand looks similar to the 1967 650 item,
its about 8" from the centre of the mounting hole to the middle of the foot
'67 parts book lists a different sidestand for TR6C and T120TT. These also had a larger front tyre so might've had a slightly longer sidestand?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks stuart
i've read elsewhere that the stands for the bikes with larger wheels had an extension welded to the bottom of the foot to maintain the proper lean angle and also that this type of stand has the same casting no, but was cut to suit different models and given different part nos
much appreciated as usual
rory

·
6,489 Posts
Hi Rory,

read elsewhere that the stands for the bikes with larger wheels had an extension welded to the bottom of the foot to maintain the proper lean angle and also that this type of stand has the same casting no, but was cut to suit different models and given different part nos
Mmmm ... afaict, it varies ...

The C-range (unit 350 and 500) centrestand had U-shaped extensions welded to the 'feet' after US versions were fitted with 3.25x19 front and 4.00x18 rear tyres/wheels. Bizarrely, the extensions were then cut off if the centrestand was going on a C-range with 17" or all-18" wheels ... o_O

Otoh, because triples and 650/750 twins didn't fit 17" wheels and the centrestands were made differently - two cast 'legs' incorporating both pivots and 'feet', each leg welded to one end of a simple horizontal bar - the only way of making longer or shorter ones is casting different-length legs; Meriden did briefly specify a longer sidestand on some OIF but, because it then made the bikes really difficult to put on the centrestand, they reverted to the shorter length ...

Otoh2, welding something to a sidestand 'foot' doesn't make a lot of sense if the shaft is being cast (to form the pivot lug on one end?)? Then easier to cast one length, cut off a bit (an inch?) if a shorter sidestand is required, then weld on the same pressed-steel 'foot' whatever the shaft length?

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Stuart

The F3721 casting was used as the base for about 10 sidestands between 1956 thru 1968.
There were different lengths and the later ones used used a different pivot bolt with unified threads. Part 82-3723 was the longest of the early group at about 9 3/4 inches from the center of the pivot bolt to the foot weld.
There were also stands used on models such as TR6C, T100C, T100R 1966 thru 1968 that had an extension of about one inch added to the base. Not the shaft.

K

·
6,489 Posts
Hi K,

also stands used on models such as TR6C, T100C, T100R 1966 thru 1968 that had an extension of about one inch added to the base. Not the shaft.
Thanks for the clarification. Any part number? I tried Googling "triumph " plus the part numbers in the '65 and '66 650 parts books but the only images that came up were essentially the same as Rory's. Just curious to see what one with an extension to the base looks like. :)

Regards,

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Stuart
What is shown below is what I was trying to post last night I found it lost in my phone today.

Use a part number 82-7354 for the extension. there are good pictures on Baxter Cycle or Mitch Klempfs website.

If you wish I can post all the sidestand part numbers I found.

K

Good Evening Stuart

I was assisting with a '65 T100SR Saturday and found myself looking at the sidestand and thinking of this thread.

Interesting the first sidestand I can find is #82-3094, 82-3095, & 82-3367 used in 1954 on the swing arm twin models. Why these part numbers are so much lower than the F3721 casting number I suspect there was some unknown change and this caused a new casting in about 1956.

The next sidestand was 82-3723 after that I have found another nine stand part numbers off the F3721 casting. The difference between the stands is the lengths of the shaft and the ones after 82-6940 used pivot bolt 82-7021 while the earlier ones used 82-3097.

The one other change is there were stands with and extension, approximately one inch, added under the foot. These stands appear to have been used on TR6C,T100C and T100R models about 1966 to 1968. I also have a picture of a 1961 TR5A with this style stand.

K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts