Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a problem which i posted on the Daytona site and got zero replies so i am hoping for a Sprinter to help.
Bike is a 03 Daytona 955i. With the engine off i can twist the throttle and let it go and it snaps back closed like it should.
Throttle play is adjusted correctly and cables are not binding or snagging.
Start the bike and after 5 minutes the throttle will not return to idle and works like a cruise control staying at whatever position it is in when i let it go. I have to manually twist it back to idle. Stop the engine and the throttle works perfectly again. ***!!!
Is there something in the throttle body which could stick when it warms up like a butterfly or such?
Could it be the throttle cables expanding from the engine heat? but why would it work fine when engine is switched off.
Anyone else ever had this problem? Never happened on any other bike that i have owned. The D has 11,000Ks on the clock.
Hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. Cheers, Nev.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Nev

I am the least technical bloke, so please forgive this:

Seeing as the throttle works perfectly well when the engine is off, I would suggest it is not the throttle, nor the cables, but either an electronic fault - or something within the engine is sticking, does it happen immediately when you fire the bike up or just when the engine is warm?

Apologies, but hundreds more technically able will be along shortly to help you out.

All the best and hope it is resolved quickly and cheaply!:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm no expert on this and the Sprint is the first bike I have that have injection.

Had a very similar problem with a old Yamaha, when warm the throttle would stick at ~3000 rpm and I had to bip the throttle a few times to get it down to idle. Throttle wires looked and felt good and returned to idle position when you let go of the throttle. Couldn't find out what the problem was and finaly I changed the throttle wire anyway = problem solved.

So my recommendation is that you first change the throttle wire before you start to tinker with the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A way to test if it is the throttle cable is to get the bike running upto the temp that the problem is happening and then with the bike still running disconnect the cable from the handlebar end and if the revs suddenly drop back to normal then you`ve found your problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With engine off the throttle works as smooth as silk and even after riding for half an hour i can pull over, switch off the bike and the throttle works fine again which seems to cancel the cable issue to my way of thinking.
If it was the cables heating up they should still be stuck when the bike is switched off but they are not. I am thinking that its something on the injection side of things but i don't have a workshop manual to go by . Best i get one and check it out before i start pulling things appart.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I`m only suggesting to try removing the cable while it`s running as that is when your having the problem, not when the bike is stopped.

It`s an easy test that doesn`t cost you anything apart from a couple of minutes to undo the cable and could save you hours of work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So i check the throttle today after work. Works fine on the first twist and then sticks on the second time which it has never done before. Disconnect the cables at the handlebar and manually turn the throttle body and it works ok once and then sticks.
pull it all down and look inside where the butterflies are and there is a green tree frog sitting there !. I live in the tropics and we get loads of frogs in the wet season and have had some climb on the bike now and then but for the life of me i can't see how it could get into there. Must have been stuck in there for about 8 weeks as that is about when my problem started. Have only ridden it twice in that time.
Anyway, removed the frog and put it back together and went for a ride and its all normal again!!!! Go figure !.
So next time the bike Croaks, i will know what to do.:D

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry, shouldn't laugh but :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: a freakin frog? I knew you Aussis are weird but...

Good to see you found the problem and it was an easy fix. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I can see it now......

"Stuck Throttle" sticky : Check for Frogs!

That's priceless:D

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm not sure what i'm more suprised about, that you found a frog in there, or that after 8 weeks in there it wasn't dead?!

Glad it wasn't a big bill to fix the bike, else you might have been hopping mad!

I'll get my coat :eek:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had one shoot out the Ducati exhaust last wet season and have had one hop out from the belly pan of the Sprint after a 130Km ride one day but this takes the cake. I have no idea how it could have got itself to this part of the bike. I have a couple of sets of speakers outside with holes in the front and the frogs live in them and poke their heads out when i crank up the stereo. They tend to like Oz rock and a bit of heavy metal more than teeny bopper top 40 rubbish that my kids listen to. Frogstomp by Silverchair is their favourite at the moment.( the frogs,not the kids) Har Har.:D

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
If i was in the U.S.A i could say it only cost a Greenback to fix !. I tried to get a photo but by the time i got my camera he had hopped out. My eldest son said that the frog hit the floor and kept going out to the garden fast as possible. Can't say i blame him.
Got to be a first.

And an annex to the User Manual - Livestock in your bike's internals.

I bet the poor fella was livid - after all, it was dark, relatively quiet and predator proof, and then you come along and turf him out!:D

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Apparently he was having a jolly good time since it appears he didn't want you to slow down once you got going.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts