Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed the oil and filter in my 2006 speed triple and now it won't start. It did for a minute then cut out. I tried again and it backfired a couple of times and tried its best to start but now just cranking and nothing. Its like it is not getting any gas. Any ideas before I have to have it trailered in to the shop???

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
If it was running before the oil change it has to be the battery. There's no realistic explanation for how a change of oil can be interfering with the combustion process.

Charge it overnight, and start 'er up tomorrow morning as usual.

·
Registered
102 Posts
This may be a bit obvious but did you check the kill switch?

·
Registered
409 Posts
would over filling the oil cause this?
Where did you put the oil!!! ( only joking!)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Still a possibility of the battery, sometimes you can have enough juice for the starter to crank over the engine, but not enough to ALSO power the ECU at the same time. Not saying that is what it definitely is, but can necessarily rule it out. Very easy to check for, either try and charge the battery, or the super quick route is to try and jump it from your car.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is there something you're not telling us about the bike?

Did it sit for months before you changed the oil? Any electrical repairs prior to the oil change? Did you change or fix anything else just before you messed with the oil?

I'm with Flash on this one - changing the oil doesn't suddenly make the bike not start.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is a new battery as of last Wed. I did put on frame sliders according to directions and new bulbs in headlights. Can that create the problem?

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you put in new headlight bulbs, check and make sure they are installed right and that you didn't blow headlight fuse. Bike won't start if they are installed wrong or that fuse is blown

·
Registered
158 Posts
Oh yeah good point! I forgot, but you are right. I pulled my fuse when using tuneboy and didn't put it back in, bike wouldn't turn over at all so that's not going to be the problem.

·
Registered
409 Posts
fuel??

·
Registered
111 Posts
You have fouled spark plugs. If you ran it for just a few minutes before changing the oil, the engine never got hot enough to shut-off the enrichment program and the plugs started to get loaded up. Restart after the change allowed the enrichment program to continue and fouled the plugs. Unfortunately common in this type of situtation. Get yourself a new set of plugs to install (or installed) and make sure you get a set of plugs one heat range hotter than stock. Stock plugs should be an NGK CR9EK have them replaced with the CR8EK. The plugs will be about nine dollars a piece or for a few bucks more get the NGK CR8EIX Iridium tipped plugs. They have lasted for four years in my '04 RS and sharpened up the throttle response nicely. (At least to me).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts