Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've justed fitted a set on TOR pipes to my 09 RIII and whilst they have improved the overall engine tone, I was looking to lose the CAT and replace it with a by-pass pipe assy (A9600160).

I'm not looking for a full-on Harley slash pipe sound, but would like a bit more growl especially in the lower rev range. Can somebody let me know of their experience of fitting a by-pass with the TOR pipes?

Are there any examples on Utube ?

I'm assuming that I don't have to have a second re-map of the ECU after fitting a by-pass pipe (I've already had one for the TORs)?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
Steve,

Just did the cat bypass/Tor thing a couple of weeks ago. Very easy and believe me, I'm no mechanic. I did get the Tor download which seemed to cause even more decel popping than without it.($45)
I do like the sound. Never tried it with just the Tors so I couldn't comment on the difference, but she sounds pretty nice - and I think fairly loud.
If you take a look at the bypass, I think you will see how easy it is. I just made sure I disconnected the battery, replaced the gasket on the cat side.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HIM,

Did you do the ECM re-mapp yourself (you mention $ 45) or was the charge from the dealership to do it?

cheers
Steve

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Now that you have the TORs, you have to get the bypass. It sounds great. Remapping should be free. It takes 5 minutes. However, all of the stock tunes have power restriction so you need to get Tuneboy ($350) to download a map with full power.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Dealership did it Steve, but I would like to go with a Tuneboy at some point. Sounds like something I could have a lot of fun screwing up.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What do these cat by-pass units look like?
Are they only available as a genuine Triumph part or are there aftermarket ones available.
What sort of cost are these units?

Thanks

Paul.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Paul,

Triumph make these by-pass pipes as an accessory for the US market ( http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/clothingAccessoriesPopup.aspx?GID=2 ), but I get the impression that a lot of UK owners also fit these as well.

You can buy cheaper copies on fBay for a little less, but I guess if your bike is new and you want to keep the warrenty, you might want to stick with the Triumph parts.

On a UK legal aspect, I don't think there is any regulation (yet) that bike motors have to have a CAT (please correct me, if I'm wrong in this assumption). If that is true, does anybody know what the position would be if the legal requirement to have a CAT fitted is introduced in a year or two, and an owner has removed a factory fitted one?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that you have the TORs, you have to get the bypass. It sounds great. Remapping should be free. It takes 5 minutes. However, all of the stock tunes have power restriction so you need to get Tuneboy ($350) to download a map with full power.
Very Happy with the TORS + CAT by-pass. To be frank adding the TORS by themselves was kind of OK, but it was the by-pass that sold me.

If you want that sound that's a cross between a P51 Mustang and a Spitfire, get both done. The bike now (to me) sounds like it should.

Brilliant...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts