Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Draped a blanket over my T100 to protect her in the garage when I brought her in tonight after cranking her and letting her run only very briefly. The engine was only warm. But I didn't think about the pipes still being hot, nor the fact that a side of the blanket would touch one of them. Dumb, dumb, dumb. I smelled something, and then discovered that the blanket--which apparently has some polyester in it---had melted onto the right side pipe where it connects to the engine. Now there's a big smear of ugly, melted/rehardened goo on top of the blued pipe.

Sh*t! How in the world am I going to get this crap off? Please help!!!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Goop

You can Wd some off.Then Let it burn (wount take lo ng) & scrape the rest off w/ a credit card or plastic ice scraper. Not a biggy- we all have done something similar 1x @ least!
When done can clean it up w/ neverdull/. Some have said - use oven cleaner? Never did it so I cant say if it works?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, CaptDon!!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Good advice as usual from Capt Don.

If it doesn't work and you need something stronger, try oven cleaner ("ez off" or the like) on warm (not hot) pipes. Spray on, let sit 10 mins, then wipe off with a rag.

DO NOT let overspray get on painted or powdercoated parts. Hold a newspaper or something behind the pipe to avoid this.

This is especially good on stuff that has hardened onto the pipes, where gentler treatments just don't seem to get it all.

Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I've managed to burn some off by letting it run briefly. Once it cools, I'll try scraping it later tonight. If that doesn't work, then I'm off to Kroger to get some oven cleaner!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Single edge razor blade with lots of WD 40 on cool pipes for the stubborn spots.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Ofcourse this could be the excuse you need to get new pipes :D Or atleast that is what you can say to the GF/Wifie.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yeah, I did something similar with a cheap blue generic bike cover I got with the bike. I was pissed off about it but forgot in the morning. I saw smoke form the residue after a short ride and realized I'd forgotten to scrape the stuff off. Went into a bathroom and grabbed a paper towel and the warm polygoo wiped right off without any effort. Looks fine but then again I ride in the rain and my headers are a mess of blued streaks. I keep eying the exhaust wrap at Kragens...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream

Had that happen twice with plastic bags getting on pipes while riding. Used "Blue Magic" and elbow grease. Came off no problem. I use Blue Magic on pipes and all metal surfaces, works really well for me.

Ride and Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Run the bike and heat it up until it melts or boils. Then scrape it with something soft while it is hot. Then let it cool and chip away at it with a thumb nail. Don't use that abrasive stuff, use some Semichrome polish once it cools.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Goo on Pipes

Try Easy Off Bam and warm pipes, I use that on metal parts and it works like a charm everytime.....and which one of us out there hasn't done something like this before, just a part of riding!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts