Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Help me!

964 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Monstrosity 
#1 ·
Hey I dont know much about Triumph bikes or the triple (except I have a lot of lust for one). I'm looking at picking up one and think I've found a decent deal on one. It has a Dr. something or another under tail kit. It has a slip on m4 definitly needs a pc3 (I dont think its running too lean). My question is it has 6500 miles what would you recomend for maintenance? I was going to change the oil and filter right off the bat. What else should I do? What kind of millage can these bikes get before having to do any major overhauls? Sorry I've had a lot of gsxr's and cbr's but want a different style bike.

#2 ·
Man, 6500 miles is nothing. I'd change the oil, filter, plugs, check the chain, etc. Just the routine stuff because it was someone else's and I'd want a fresh start on the regular consumables - I'd want to know where I stood.

These bikes can go a very long time before needing any major work. In fact, I've never known anyone to wear one out.

#3 ·
Its a tail Dr. fender eliminator. You can get a Tuneboy cable and reprogram the ECU, much cleaner and more powerful than a PC3. Cost you about $250 on a group buy.

Major maintenance interval is 12K miles. I would get the oil, filter, plugs, air filter, and brake fluid changed. The air filter and brake fluid aren't critical, but if there is a problem with either, you want to find it right away.

Speedys have a known issue with rusted spark plugs. These should be changed by the dealer BEFORE you pay for and pick up the bike. Have them show you the old ones, and make sure they put on the updated coil boots on, along with putting anti-seize on the plug threads.

If the plugs are bad enough, they can break off in the head or strip out the aluminum head threads.

#5 ·
To quote you: "so what other issues does the bike have?"

The main fault with this bike is that you will most likely, unless your are retired, lose your job due to absenteeism. You will want to only be out riding .
The bike only knows one speed, FASTER.

I doubt that you'll find too many females willing to ride on the back.

That's about all I can come up with. Heed the advice to have the bike checked out before you pay the money and Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.