Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking over the Triumph 68 site. One of the items offered for sale particularly puzzles me. That's the headlight cover. What's the purpose? I can't ride with it to protect the headlight, because there's no way to turn the headlamp off, in which case it would probably melt the cover. It's illegal to ride in many states without a headlight. Also unsafe. So when do I use this thing? To cover my headlight when the bike is sitting? For what purpose? Maybe I'm missing some trend, perhaps international in flavor, perhaps West Coast, that just hasn't made it to NE Ohio yet. Am I being an old curmugeon who just doesn't get it?

Ah, well, too many deep thoughts for a Monday morning. Time to hit the old NordicTrak for 20 minutes, then hit the road for a couple hundred mile ride.

Bob

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I could site a bunch of things people put on thier bikes that puzzles the heck out of me. Don't ask, just chalk it up to the vast differences in tastes. You could come up with a wacky idea on purpose and find that there are people who'll want it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
On 2006-09-25 07:31, ohiorider wrote:
So when do I use this thing?

Bob
When you race the bike on a track. Glass is required to be taped or covered on the track, you would disconnect the light and use the cover instead of tape. (My best guess)

[ This message was edited by: mybluett on 2006-09-25 09:02 ]

·
Registered
909 Posts
On 2006-09-25 09:02, mybluett wrote:
On 2006-09-25 07:31, ohiorider wrote:
So when do I use this thing?

Bob
When you race the bike on a track. Glass is required to be taped or covered on the track, you would disconnect the light and use the cover instead of tape. (My best guess)
Oh.... and here was me thinking it was to stop my hair getting wet in the shower - silly me. :razz:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I would expand the original question to include all the 68 line.REALLY not to my taste.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm on the west coast, and I've never seen a headlight cover in my life! But I do occasionally see leather fringes hanging from the ends of Hardlys' handlebars...

I think removing the headlight completely would be a better approach on the track...

·
Registered
909 Posts
On 2006-09-25 17:52, Bhakti-rider wrote:
I think removing the headlight completely would be a better approach on the track...
Yeah..... but then how would they hold the indicators in place? :razz:

Ohhkay.... it's time for me to go to bed anyway. :-D

·
Registered
633 Posts
feel free to start up the regional bias nonsense if you must.
:???:

I think what ohiorider was saying is that us midwesterners aren't always hip to the latest goings-on in Europe or the American coasts. Anyway, that's my guess.

·
Registered
196 Posts
On 2006-09-25 18:21, MES wrote:
68 should be 86ed. They don't have clue one.
:hihi:

My old Honda could use that...I ride with the headlight off because it drains the battery at low RPM Nice to have a switch for the light being as they weren't mandatory to have on back then...heck, it's cool enough that bike came equipped with turn signals! :idea:

[ This message was edited by: KF6VGZ on 2006-09-25 22:04 ]

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 2001 Bonnies headlight isn't on all the time. So I could use that cover any time I didn't need to use the light.

I thought it was a retro thing. :???:

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On 2006-09-25 19:00, GeoDiablo wrote:
feel free to start up the regional bias nonsense if you must.
:???:

I think what ohiorider was saying is that us midwesterners aren't always hip to the latest goings-on in Europe or the American coasts. Anyway, that's my guess.
GeoDiablo - that was my intention. Sorry if anyone took it as a regional jab. Totally unintended. There's no place I've ever ridden that I've enjoyed more than the West Coast, especially SoCal.

Bob

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ohiorider,

Mate I thought it was just me! I have looked at that sixty8 site several times now and I find some of the products downright bizarre from both an enthusiast's persective and a practical sense.

A perspex sprocket cover - hello!! Have these clowns any idea that we like to spray a bit of lube on these chains from time to time. What is that thing going to look like after a couple of hundred miles? It certainly wont be transparent any more!

Have a look at the 'Tank pad'. Am I missing something or is this thing a 3 inch wide strip of foam that covers some of the left side of the fuel tank? It's nice that they've made it available with a choice of trim colours, but what the heck is it supposed to do.

The brown seats. Seriously - does anyone really lust after a brown seat for their pride & joy? Can you imagine it - "Gee Bob, your Bonnie looks fantastic with that bit of extra polished alloy and the aluminium tank. What about putting a brown seat on it to really make it special?"

No - I don't think so.

Don't even get me started on the perspex tank badges!

I really believe that Triumph has made a major blunder with the release of this range of garbage. I refuse to believe that anyone with a motorcycling background who has even the slightest knowledge of the '68' era or the present Bonnie/Thrux/Scrambler/BA/SM owner demographic could have designed this stuff believing it would sell.

I'm very disappointed that as owners, we have been denied what could have been a desirable range of quality accessories. Instead we've been offered a pile of cheap and tacky looking rubbish that looks like it came from a Chinese two dollar shop (though I'll bet it ain't cheap in dollar terms!).

sixty8 - I wouldn't give them sixty-eight cents for the lot of it.

Thanks mate - now I feel much better!

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Like said previously, - 86 the sixty8 :-D
Maybe its some remnants from the Paul Smith project...?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Anne...so who is that in the background that looks like he is playing "rock/paper/scissors" by himself? BTW the brown seat looks pretty good on that bike, it also looks fairly good on a Goodwood Green/Gold and the White/Orange models.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.