Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's likely a spark plug issue, but before i go ripping the tank off and go thru the torture that is spark plug removal, i'd like to get some opinions. Bike has always been a quick starter and never had any issues to speak of.
Today i went to start it and it wouldn't start till i gave it 3 or 4 tries and even then i have to open the throttle to keep from dying right away. But it wasn't apparently running on both cylinders and would cut out when i revved it and die when i let go. Let it sit for a minute and tried again and that time it idles and would rev, but the revving didn't feel strong/normal. Also note the engine light is NOT on so i doubt it's a map tube. Smells nasty too, rich or dieseling kinda smell, maybe somewhere in between. I hooked up to tuneecu and no error code and both cylinders show equal MAP but the issue persists. If it were a coil it would throw an error as would a sensor or most anything, but not a plug. On the other hand, it's unlikely 2 plugs would go bad at the same time and with 2 per cylinder wouldn't it run and idle pretty much normal, or at least not die like that and have weak idle and revs? B4 i try replacing the plugs, anyone have opinions on what it likely is?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would too excpet like i said it didn't throw a code and every time i have had a loose map tube it did.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel ! 50 miles to go on the gauge whick is about 20 more then the lowest i usually go. I dunno if ther gauge is F'd or it was just a fluke.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I would remove he bolt on the front of the tank, pivot it up and remove the hose in the middle going to the "roll over valve" /overflow tube and spray some carb cleaner down that tube. I used to overfill my tank and residue down that tube turned to shellac. Sputtering and intermittent shut offs went away. If you're sure of the map tubes that's where Id look/go.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would remove he bolt on the front of the tank, pivot it up and remove the hose in the middle going to the "roll over valve" /overflow tube and spray some carb cleaner down that tube. I used to overfill my tank and residue down that tube turned to shellac. Sputtering and intermittent shut offs went away. If you're sure of the map tubes that's where Id look/go.
Guess i wasn't clear in my last post, sorry bout that. But it was out of fuel due to a fluke in the gauge reading. Clock also advanced 4 hours so it was just a bugged reading, Ran fine since after putting fuel in it.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Guess I misunderstood your post or the turning 70 is an issue. Most likely the dementia setting in. Yes I've had issues with the gauge, it just seems to take long for it to move after a refuel. Clock is off 2-4 minutes per week, wish it would auto pick up the time like my atomic clock does....LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts